lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Radio static

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If the headlights don't get brighter and dimmer depending on if it's running or not, than it's more than just some resistors to drop voltage.
There's a big difference between L.E.D. headlights and H.I.D. headlights. H.I.D. lights do use a ballast - L.E.D.'s don't. High Intensity Driving lights require more amps to run - not suitable for a golf cart.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I understand the difference, I didn't think anyone was speaking of HID. I put some HID in a Rxv once, the brightness was totally insane, until the monsters started burning the chrome off the plastic housings. A "voltage drop" resistor is a quite poor regulation system for consistency with LEDs on any setup where the voltage is not Rock solid same all the time. Millivolts make huge differences in LED amp draw. (+ Heat generated, + light output)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheedah View Post
Try getting some ferrite beads and run your power wires and ground wires through them, also power cables should short and keep the + and ground wires the same length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Doesn't look like the OP is coming back, so I don't think I'm jacking this thread so this is a good place to ask.

I use a portable radio (AM mostly) all the time. I go from shop to house, to my other shop etc. all within a 100 yards or so. Gas and electric carts, nothing to do with lights just while running. Interference is awful, squealing and loud. Will these ferrite beads work on any cart gas or electric? Never heard of them until you mentioned this.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #14
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

What kind of cart do you have? Gas or Electric? Motor driven carts have large brush pac's -- engines using a Starter/Generator have brushes. This is the most common source of static in your radio. Most modern radios are not affected by this nowadays. I'm curious, what do you listen to on AM? This is the radio band most affected by Starter/Generators and large electric brush motors. As a child we used to go on long Sunday rides and I remember the generator noise.

CGTech: I don't know what your talking about when you say the voltage is not rock solid all the time. LED's are made to work on variable voltage and produce the same quality light no matter the voltage as long as it is in its operating range. Here's the first pair of LED's headlights I looked at - they operate at 12 to 24 volts.
Making your own tail lights isn't a hard job. A round circuit board -- A hand full of Super Bright red and yellow leds and a few 1/4 watt resistors and you have a yellow arrow in a red circle. Pretty cool -- I posted a link that will help you understand what you need to know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-H4-HB2-...frcectupt=true
Old 11-06-2018, 02:54 AM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What type cart? I have both, nuclear and hydrogen fuel cell.

What do I listen to? This is probably the problem.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Seriously Shepard, I have both gas and electric. Happens with both. I listen to: Fox and ESPN sports, Local news and weather (1140 WRVA), sometimes Rush, but usually not all afternoon, local talk show from 3-6 PM. Then later, depending on sports on at the time, I might listen to WBZ 1030 Boston Dan Rae. If I'm up later, it's Coast To Coast AM, sometimes crazy, always entertaining. Mike Savage when I can find the show, (it's always changing where he is). Beyond that I like Handel On The Law, Kim Komando and a few others. Although I have several, radio of choice is a Sony ICF-38. I have found that an AM radio needs to be turned to capture the signal. Can't do this installed in a cart, car, wall etc.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Seriously Shepard, I have both gas and electric. Happens with both. I listen to: Fox and ESPN sports, Local news and weather (1140 WRVA), sometimes Rush, but usually not all afternoon, local talk show from 3-6 PM. Then later, depending on sports on at the time, I might listen to WBZ 1030 Boston Dan Rae. If I'm up later, it's Coast To Coast AM, sometimes crazy, always entertaining. Mike Savage when I can find the show, (it's always changing where he is). Beyond that I like Handel On The Law, Kim Komando and a few others. Although I have several, radio of choice is a Sony ICF-38. I have found that an AM radio needs to be turned to capture the signal. Can't do this installed in a cart, car, wall etc.
I wasn't trying to offend you -- I was hoping you say - oh I see - both have brushes -- it's cool your old school with your listening pleasures -- I really like your truck, is that battery or gas.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
I wasn't trying to offend you -- I was hoping you say - oh I see - both have brushes -- it's cool your old school with your listening pleasures -- I really like your truck, is that battery or gas.
No offense taken. It is a gas Club Car Carryall. Thank you.

I am a Hathcock fan too. I think he was from VA Beach.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #19
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Doesn't look like the OP is coming back, so I don't think I'm jacking this thread so this is a good place to ask.

I use a portable radio (AM mostly) all the time. I go from shop to house, to my other shop etc. all within a 100 yards or so. Gas and electric carts, nothing to do with lights just while running. Interference is awful, squealing and loud. Will these ferrite beads work on any cart gas or electric? Never heard of them until you mentioned this.

They should help stop noise, if you look at anything electronic ferrite beads are those bumps in your wires on electrical plugs, monitor cables ... most snap on and have heat shrink of cable vinyl over them. Separating power and speaker / antenna / low voltage runs is important. When they must cross, cross at 90 degrees. Engine noise and pulses can be cleaned up or filtered out.

dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheedah View Post
They should help stop noise, if you look at anything electronic ferrite beads are those bumps in your wires on electrical plugs, monitor cables ... most snap on and have heat shrink of cable vinyl over them. Separating power and speaker / antenna / low voltage runs is important. When they must cross, cross at 90 degrees. Engine noise and pulses can be cleaned up or filtered out.

Great tip! Thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha