lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Dogle
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 G2 Has no spark. Possibly Ignitor?

I recently got a non running G2. I put a new battery in it and it did nothing when the gas pedal was pressed. I read through a lot of forum questions and was able to track down a broken wire. After that the cart would turn over when the pedal was pressed but still had no spark. I tried a new ignition coil just taking a shot that this could be the problem. Unfortunately I was wrong. While I was turning the motor over trying to check for spark, the pedal quit working. I checked the pedal switch, 12v before and after the switch, the solenoid engages and turns the motor over if you jump it, there is 12v at the ignition coil and all the way to the end of the spark plug cable. Right now the cart doesn't do anything when the pedal is pressed. I'm out of ideas. Possible that the ignitor is bad? Wondering if there is any way to check that? Thanks
Dogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Dogle
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 G2 Has no spark. Possibly Ignitor?

Somehow I overlooked a blown fuse like an idiot. Cart still won't start. I checked spark again and noticed that the only spark I get is when I let off the pedal. It only sparks once or twice. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Welcome !
Search for “ So your Yami won’t turn over . . . “ from smallblock450sl - it’s a great post for figuring out the why!
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

I had an issue similar to this years ago. I pulled the wiring harness, bought some heavier guage wire (next size or so up and small spools of different colors), and made up a new wiring harness. Took a little while but solved many issues with my G9.

I'm wondering if you have a wire burned into or damaged somewhere in the wiring harness.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogle View Post
Somehow I overlooked a blown fuse like an idiot. Cart still won't start. I checked spark again and noticed that the only spark I get is when I let off the pedal. It only sparks once or twice. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have zero experience with the G2 but I have seen that "gets a spark or two" issue on several carts now. In my experience, getting a spark or two has invariably been the result of a bad cdi or whatever ignition module is used on a cart.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
I had an issue similar to this years ago. I pulled the wiring harness, bought some heavier guage wire (next size or so up and small spools of different colors), and made up a new wiring harness. Took a little while but solved many issues with my G9.

I'm wondering if you have a wire burned into or damaged somewhere in the wiring harness.
Agreed with spriddle 100%

Before you start replacing parts, go through everything with a fine tooth comb. Step 1 is continuity tests with a good meter on every wire. Make sure your harness is in tact and doesn't have connection or other issues. When I got my G9 the harness was so hacked up from all the previous owners and attempted "repairs" I just made my own.

Common problem with these is the main ground to the engine. You can try using a jumper cable and ground the engine block to the negative battery terminal.

Test the coil with a meter. The spark plug cap is a separate part from the coil and should show ~5k ohms resistance through the cap alone. This is a pretty common failure as well, and only about $20 to replace.

ONLY USE OEM COIL, CAP, IGNITOR, ETC.!!!!!!!!!!!! This is important. Yes they are expensive. But the aftermarket parts are absolute garbage. Ask me how I know........

If the coil, harness, cap, and everything check out like they should then the ignitor would be the next possible failure. Unfortunately there is no "test" for it and your options are very limited. Either pony up the $350-400 for a new OEM one, hope and pray someone on here has a used OEM one, or convert to HEI ignition. I used a chrysler ignition module with no problems or issues at all.

Here's the wiring diagram for the G2A http://www.courtesygolfcars.com/yamaha-schematics
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #7
Dogle
Not Yet Wild

I checked all wires, connections and grounds. Everything checks out good. 12v at all hot connections on coil, solenoid, gas pedal. Still only have spark once you let off the pedal. Thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new ignitor. Unless, anyone has any other ideas. Checked the plug cap and that has ~5 ohms. The spark happens at the same time that the solenoid clicks after letting off the pedal.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You could try this. Worked great for me

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ml#post1498533
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha