lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
lostboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1Clutch rebuild..God protects little kids and drunks...

I Hate buying repops think I have enough info to forge ahead , me and a wee nip of Johnny Walker to rebuild the original clutch. Question is there anything special about the plastic washers that go on either side of the swing weights?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giclutchguts.jpg (113.0 KB, 0 views)
lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1Clutch rebuild..God protects little kids and drunks...

The plastic parts are just guides that ride in the other half of the clutch. They are made of a plastic material so there is no metal to metal contact. As long as they are intact and not cracked up, you should be good. Check the two halves for slop when they are fit together.

The weights on the other hand do wear. Check the very end of the finger to see if they are flat or round. A pic would help here. Also the weights will have some slop on the pivot point, but too much can put stress on the weight and cause cracks. Look over those parts well. A tiny bit of lube is ok here.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
lostboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I am impressed with the symmetrical 'WEAR'..all the swing weights and axles are worn within .14 mm so here is what I got. So as a clutch/Variable speed transmission is the pivot designed like a cam or is that just the way it wears?
All plastic/nylons to be replaced.
ID on swing weights 10.1-10.24 mm
Pivot shafts/axles elliptical wear/shape? 8.35-9.97mm
The contact plate for the transmission plate is smooth ...what do you guys think?
See Attached photos..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0475.jpg (121.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (67.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0481.jpg (94.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg camyam.jpg (61.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
lostboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

anyone? also a supplier for the thin washers I seem to only buy in a large lot~~~
Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Were you having trouble with it shifting?

The fingers wear like that, those look pretty worn. I'd bet they are not pushing on the movable sheave all the way. It should be rounded in shape, not flat.

The pins aren't as much of a problem, provided they are not slipping out, or bent. They will wear, but not as much as the fingers.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The condition of the sheaves is important as well. They should be flat and smooth with no ridges or wear marks. Usually a well worn clutch has a bump at the bottom V of the sheaves where the belt stops at full shift. If you don't see that big bump and the faces are smooth, it should work ok.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
lostboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Were you having trouble with it shifting?

The fingers wear like that, those look pretty worn. I'd bet they are not pushing on the movable sheave all the way. It should be rounded in shape, not flat.

The pins aren't as much of a problem, provided they are not slipping out, or bent. They will wear, but not as much as the fingers.
Only issue is a Jerk start after that it tracks out very nicely under load. would like to smooth out the start.. that's it..
Old 08-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had the same issue with my stock G1 primary, a hard first engagment then all others were smooth. I took it all apart cleaned everything and put a small amount of lube on the pivot shaft. Now no more initial jerk start. As you know new replacement parts are unobtainium which sucks because I need to be able to push my cart around to get other toys out and aftermarket clutches will not allow for this as far as I know.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
I had the same issue with my stock G1 primary, a hard first engagment then all others were smooth. I took it all apart cleaned everything and put a small amount of lube on the pivot shaft. Now no more initial jerk start. As you know new replacement parts are unobtainium which sucks because I need to be able to push my cart around to get other toys out and aftermarket clutches will not allow for this as far as I know.
Good points. Maybe just do as good a job as you can and see how it does? New clutches are over $200. I have a puck style G1 clutch (comet Duster 94c style) sitting in my shed. I paid $300 for it. Let it go for $150, but shipping is a killer on this stuff.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
lostboy
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Good points. Maybe just do as good a job as you can and see how it does? New clutches are over $200. I have a puck style G1 clutch (comet Duster 94c style) sitting in my shed. I paid $300 for it. Let it go for $150, but shipping is a killer on this stuff.
Is this for a 2 stroke engine?

Tags
clutch gas, g1a
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha