lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default RXV motor question

I have seen a bunch of people are swapping there Danaher and Curtis controllers over to Navitas. With the Danaher I get it, not so much with the Curtis. Question I have is has anyone tried running a Navitas motor with the stock Curtis? I realize that you would have to figure out the speed sensor but it might work??
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV motor question

Why would you swap the phänomenal Slovenian motor?
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

This is just a question.. If you have a bad motor from a flood or etc..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
nonomac4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
This is just a question.. If you have a bad motor from a flood or etc..
Not on an RXV, as the braking is all in the motor. The source of brakes is a motor brake, attached to the motor itself and it cannot be attached to another motor. So, if you used another motor you would have zero brakes.
nonomac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think the braking capability is a part of every AC motor ( counter current braking ), the special RXV parking brake attached to the motor is unique
Old 09-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonomac4 View Post
Not on an RXV, as the braking is all in the motor. The source of brakes is a motor brake, attached to the motor itself and it cannot be attached to another motor. So, if you used another motor you would have zero brakes.
The mechanical brake assembly on the back of the motor is only used for parking and panic stops when very high force is applied to the brake pedal. Other than that, regen braking is used (motor acting as a generator and putting energy back into batteries).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
nonomac4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The mechanical brake assembly on the back of the motor is only used for parking and panic stops when very high force is applied to the brake pedal. Other than that, regen braking is used (motor acting as a generator and putting energy back into batteries).
So you can swap the motor, just not have “emergency” braking?
nonomac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd say yes, but you'll need any kind of parking brake...
Old 09-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #9
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are options but, they are not cheap.

For example:

SME ACM1 Traction Inverter with a Dana19 spline SME 3.5kW rear key shafted motor.

This is what they look like:

SME1.JPG

SME2.jpg

I can put this setup on an RXV with a Warner Electric motor brake of various configurations and map the RXV Danaher or Curtis harness. It isn't hard to do. You can use the wonderful documentation from Navitas to figure it all out to the mappings to the ACM1 (or even ACX1) SME controller.

https://167b5b20-96f8-4bb2-baea-397a...fc86d61487.pdf

https://167b5b20-96f8-4bb2-baea-397a...6c7ee26320.pdf

With the SME SmartView OEM software you can configure a number of brakes and beyond the awful on/off parking brake with "oh no!" panic stop.

Some idea of what programming a real AC traction inverter looks like:

SME3.PNG

SME4.PNG

The SME AC traction inverters are far superior to Curtis, Kelly, SevCon and Navitas offerings in my humble opinion. I would rather deal with SME programming over any of the other setups. SME is the core to the "Hyper9" offering from NetGain if you are thinking you have seen them before. SME has no interest in the "golf cart" market but, if you have money to burn you can put them in no problem. Takes some programming but, the software is a dream to work with when you compare it to any other offering. (SevCon has gotten better on this front.)

I run SME gear up to 11kW on Dana19 rear ends but, you need to get into the ACX1 series and be around 118V nominal to make use of the motor properly. At 72VDC nominal they really don't "out perform" the current offerings as voltage is your limit and you need to up your voltage game.

You can indeed, if designed properly, get 118V of lithium batteries on a EZGO TXT core frame of 80Ah LiFEPO4. Its not for mere mortals to do and it isn't a drop-in battery and requires a REAL BMS, EVCC and charger. I use the Thunderstruck motors Dilithium BMS, EVCC and TMS2500 CAN connected setups. Integrates well with SME as you can actually program the CAN messages. :O

I gave up trying to hack my way into 1314 developer level. Just wasn't worth the effort when I could do the same **** thing with SME setups and the overall programming is better. But, again, this stuff is NOT cheap. Its not even CLOSE to the price point of Navitas or hacked Curtis stuff but, its significantly more flexible for the high-end market.

Anything is possible with the right amount of capital. Its still cheaper to find a replacement 3.3kW RXV motor (used) and slap it on and replace the controller with a Navitas for 99.99% of golf cart usage. I am simply putting this out there because a lot of people are not aware of all the other options avalible.

FYI: Dana owns SME. :O It is the Dana TM4 division.

https://www.danatm4.com/

"Dana TM4 is a joint venture between Dana Incorporated and Hydro-Québec. The company designs and manufactures low- and high-voltage electric motors, generators, power electronics, and control systems suitable for the automotive, commercial, off-highway, marine, rail, motorsports, and recreational vehicle markets."

For those wondering how I know about this stuff... I am Canadian and live 55km from Navitas, ASI and SME (North American) HQs. :O So I have uncommon access to this stuff and the engineering teams. So I get to play with whacky stuff quite often. (Pictures above of the SME setup is one of my personal setups I own.)

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #10
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I did an RXV with a Jakes LT and disc brakes on it. I basically moved the "oh no!" button on the brake out of the way. Disc brakes work great and with regen the cart is a dream. Parking brake is exactly what it should be on that setup... a parking brake and not for stopping the cart. :)
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO