lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
PINK PANTHER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default voltage

I have a 79' ezgo with a robin engine. not sure what size. this model has the internal starter generator. engine cranks very slow in forward, in reverse, I hit the pedal and 3 seconds later, the engine will finally turn over even slower than in forward. Battery is good, and all wiring connections seem clean and in good shape. not sure where to start to trouble shoot. Would it be the solenoid? if so, what type of voltage reading should I have, and what is the proper way to check?
PINK PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: voltage

I would sell the cart while it still starts if it were mine. just pic any of the internal dynamo parts and see if you can find it anywhere. not to even mention the special tools that are NLA but you need to take it apart.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
PINK PANTHER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I really don't want to sell it. What about an engine swap? what would fit in there without to many mods? This is my daughter's cart, (10 years old) So I don't want a powerhouse, just a good runner!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

yeah you could change it to a later two stoke setup, probably find one that somebody swaped in a sled engine or something and get all the stuff you need.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
hotmomma
Wildly Wicked!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINK PANTHER View Post
I have a 79' ezgo with a robin engine. not sure what size. this model has the internal starter generator. engine cranks very slow in forward, in reverse, I hit the pedal and 3 seconds later, the engine will finally turn over even slower than in forward. Battery is good, and all wiring connections seem clean and in good shape. not sure where to start to trouble shoot. Would it be the solenoid? if so, what type of voltage reading should I have, and what is the proper way to check?
On our cart we get about 13 volts. We have a gel cell battery on our cart. But also had a problem with battery charges. After throwing a few parts at it, we changed the points in the starter/gen. but before putting it all back together we took the whole thing apart and found a wire burnt in half. Once we souldered it back together have had no trouble with voltage. Voltage is great and less charges in between.
hotmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
PINK PANTHER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input! I pulled stater/generator apart. Cleaned it very well, couldn't see any visible problems, so I reassembled. Cart is cranking a little better now, but positive battery cable is getting really hot. does this mean I have a short somewhere?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WHat did the brushes look like while you were in there? Can you change the brushes?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
PINK PANTHER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

the brushes looked fine, good tension on springs, lots of "brush" left.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Is the drive belt draging the engine down while trying to start?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

You might try removing and cleaning all the grounding points on the frame and engine. I know you said all connections were clean n such but I would try it anyway.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO