lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Took the plunge

The searching has come to an end, bought my workhorse today.

When the 96 workhorse I'd looked at earlier in the week didn't have a good engine, the guy told me he had a 98. I asked for a compression check, he said 155, so I told him I'd take a look.

Got there today and found the gal behind the desk knew more. Compression check was 165, and workhorse was a 99 TXT. The 96 I had looked at was $1650, and when he thought it was a 98 he said it would be about the same price. Of course today it's a 99 so that changes things. It had been listed for $1900, but boss said go $1700 because of the mix up.

We went back to take a look and drive it. They did a tune up on it yesterday when they did the compression check. Changed oil, plugs, air filter, and put on two new belts. The governor spring assembly, I knew what it was but he didn't, looked new. So that may have been changed. The cart was not a maintenance cart for a gold course. It was the yard cart for a concrete company, so I assume it's hauled a few concrete blocks around. The cart was brought here for all maintenance. He said it got new brakes a year ago.

When we got done, I ended up buying it for $1550.

I want to thank everyone for your help in my earlier threads, and all the info I've picked up from other threads I've been reading the past week. When it was all said and done, I knew quite a bit when it came time to buy. Then again maybe I knew just enough to get myself into something that will end up running my life.

Forgot to add. The cart is still in my truck, I'm waiting for ramps. When I get it off I'll add a picture.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Re: Took the plunge

Did get a chance to take a picture of the engine while waiting for the guys to show up with the ramps.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
bowtieracin
Gone Wild

Way to go sounds like a great deal to me!! So this should have the plastic body correct? Is it an 800 or 1200 series
bowtieracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
rocko
Gone Wild

Congradulations on what sounds like a good deal , I think you will be happy with it ------- I am pretty shocked that you could fit it in your pickup truck , you must have a big truck or a shorter wheel base , I just measured mine after reading your post and from the front bumper to the rear side of the rear tire is 8 and 1/2 ft , it's 10 ft from the front of the bumper to the back of the tail gate , an 8ft bed with the tail gate down would be a pic you should take before you unload it ------------you can find the operation , service and parts manuels in the tech thread at the top of EZGO gas for your cart
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

It is the 800 series, the plastic one with no headlights.

Actually I only have a 6 1/2 foot bed on my truck. The nose was touching the front of the bed and the back tires where just touching the tailgate. Of course the box on the back of the cart was sticking out past the end of the tailgate.

I'll take a look at the manuals, and I may have a need for them right off the bat. I may have caused my own problem.

When I got it home while it was in the truck I started it and ran it for a while. It's in the 30s here and it rode 40 miles in the truck so I figured it would be cold and might start hard. I ran it for 3 or 4 minutes. About an hour later while waiting for the ramps and watching my son in law moving some snow with the tractor I started it again, chocking it a bit to get it started, ran it for a winute or two. Twenty minutes or so later ramps arrive and when it comes time to unload it will not start. I smell gas, yet see nothing moving through the filter which you can see on top of the gas tank in the picture. Take the hose off before the filter and turn over the engine and no gas comes out. Blow in the end of the hose and you can hear bubbles in the gas tank.

So did I flood the engine because I used the choke too much when starting it?
They were telling me the carts can be cold blooded, so I'm wondering if I got carried away with the choke.

Other then this problem, I'm very happy with the cart and what I had to pay.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the cart !! I have two of those actually, and I love them

If it is pedal activated starting ( I added a switch to mine) you put it in
neutral and then lock the brakes.

I would take the air filter out of the box, (I am assuming you rolled it off with
the ramps) and just leave the choke off for a few seconds, and maybe pull the
plugs and roll it over and air everything out.

then get a fresh start on getting it to crank..

Mine starts like this, and a whole bunch will, until it gets warmed up, then it
starts differently..

When it is cold here...below 40, I have to turn it over for about count of
three and then barely give it gas or barely choke it, until it fires and hold it there..either the choke there, or the gas there...whatever you use to get it
to fire.. let it warm up, then you're good to go.

When it is warm you won't have to do anything.

I think it is the nature of the high back pressure (quiet) and high
filtration (service) Robin engine characteristic.

csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Congrats on the find.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Liv4nov
Not Yet Wild

I put an 88 GXT-800 in the bed of a Dakota Quad cab (shortbed) with the tailgate down. It fit, barely.
Liv4nov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like you got a good motor in this one. We are to seem a warmer week next week (60/40 range) so maybe you will get some good riding time your way too. :)
Gale Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
I put it in neutral, but didn't lock the brakes.

Quote:
I would take the air filter out of the box, (I am assuming you rolled it off with the ramps) and just leave the choke off for a few seconds, and maybe pull the plugs and roll it over and air everything out.
We rolled it off, and the plan was to just let it sit till tomorrow to give time for everything to dry out. Pulled it in the barn with my son in laws 4 wheeler. Probably pull the plugs before we try tomorrow.

Quote:
When it is cold here...below 40, I have to turn it over for about count of three and then barely give it gas or barely choke it, until it fires and hold it there..either the choke there, or the gas there...whatever you use to get it to fire.. let it warm up, then you're good to go.
I kind of figured cold weather starting would be a trial and error thing until I got used to it. Of course I wasn't planning on the error part being the first time out. Fortunately good old Nebraska is suppose to warm up next week and maybe hit 50 or 60, so that will help.

What about the fact we didn't get any gas out of the fuel tank line when turning it over. Shouldn't the motor turning over pump gas out of the tank and into the in line filter?

I'm looking forward to getting this thing running. Of course once I get things going spring will not come fast enough to suit me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO