lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Testing Fuel Pump

My '99 DS gasser stopped running recently. Turn key on, step on gas & you get a *slight* start and movement then nothing..feels like its fuel-starved. I tested the fuel pump by removing the top hose-the one mounted on top of the gas tank-and attemped to start the cart. I put my finger over the end of the hose while I cranked the engine...no suction. This means the fuel pump is toast, right? I just want to amke sure before I buy a new one...thanks for any help!!
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Testing Fuel Pump

The pump operates on a pound or less of vacuum pressure generated in the crankcase. You can't really feel this pressure with your finger, remove the hose at the carburetor and see if you are getting delivery ... if not, check the condition of the vacuum line to the motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Follow Scotty's advice and if no fuel take off the cover on the pump ( one large screw ) and there is a fine screen filter in it. It may be plugged.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Doc
Gone Wild

OK, checked the hose to the crankcase-clean with no crack or otherwise-took the hose off right before the carb and turned it over-NO fuel delivery at all. So the verdict is fuel pump, right? Thanks guys
Doc
Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

Before you buy a new pump don't forget to check that screen as Simple Man said. I had to clean mine at one point and mine has worked fine ever since. Worth a try.

Jason
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Let's do the free stuff first before you buy a pump, these pumps are usually very reliable.
If it doesn't work after you clean the pump screen, make sure the pick up tube has not fallen off in the tank.
Check the tank elbow for cracks, fuel lines from the tank to pump and pump to carb for cracks.
Sometimes the fuel even needs a little help, remove fuel line from carb, try to blow air into the tank to force fuel through the pump to the carb end of the hose.
once you get it put the hose back on the carb and try it.
Also check the carb vent hose, it could be clogged.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Doc
Gone Wild

How does that pump come apart? There are 4 screws in the corners, not a screw in the center. It *looks* like there is a gasket around the perimeter..am I correct? TIA
Doc
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Doc not quite the same but same principle.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...fuel-pump.html
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
How does that pump come apart? There are 4 screws in the corners, not a screw in the center. It *looks* like there is a gasket around the perimeter..am I correct? TIA
Doc

You didn't mention your findings or if you tried any of the tests or checks suggested, what did ya find?

The fuel pump is held together with 4 screws, inside you will find rubber diaphrams, two round disc check valves and gaskets. just make sure it is all clean and don't try to remove the discs.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car