lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: do i keep the oil injection or not

Back up a minute and tell us more about just stopped for no reason. What exactly is happening? Why do you suspect the oil pump?

If the oil pump really failed, the inside of the engine is ruined. That's why I say let's figure out exactly what is going on.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
ggroff
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's my take on oil injection:

If the cart has regular use, the injector will likely work fine. The problem is when it sits for an extended period and the 2 cycle oil gets 'thick', then the pump has to work harder and fails. I see it often on older snowmobiles. Sometimes the pump survives and works after a good cleaning. However, at that point my 'trust' in the pump is gone and I bypass it.

The 87 Marathon I just picked up has had the oil injection removed already, but the seller dumped about 2 gallons of 50:1 mix in it. It runs, but smokes heavy. It may foul the plug at some point, but I feel that the extra lube is probably good for an engine that has been sitting for who knows how long.

IMHO. on anything this old it's worth the hassle of pre-mixing the fuel just for the peace of mind.
ggroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #13
w4thm
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

from an outboard motor shop perspective... loose the oil pump. when they fail, you find out after the engine had seized.
w4thm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #14
SlapahoInjun
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Back up a minute and tell us more about just stopped for no reason. What exactly is happening? Why do you suspect the oil pump?

If the oil pump really failed, the inside of the engine is ruined. That's why I say let's figure out exactly what is going on.
I was going along, about four miles from the house. 90 degree day when all of a sudden the unit just started losing power. Slowed all the way to a stop and just wouldn’t start again for about ten minutes. I may have been able to try it sooner than 10 but that’s just what I decided to wait in case it was overheated. No loud bang or jerking before she quit. Just slow drawdown to a stop.

I have been driving it for a week alMost since and It has not happened again. Just doing 5 minute trips in my street now tho.

I will have to click the speed today with my gos in the cell phone and report back.
SlapahoInjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #15
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It could have overheated, but I'm leaning more towards a piece of dirt in the carburetor since it was temporary.

It could have also lost spark due to heat.

You say it wouldn't start, so I'm assuming it was turning over and wasn't seized.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
SlapahoInjun
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It was not turning over at all right after it shut down on me. Right then I pressed the “go” pedal and got dead silence. Walked around it and contemplated how the heck I was going to get it home. After 10 minutes I decided to try it again and it fired right up.

It’s weird how it just peter’d out and came to a quiet stop. No noises or jerking at all. It was about 93 degrees here that day.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Pretty much impossible to diagnose a one time incident.

Could have been a bad ground or some other electrical issue.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #18
SlapahoInjun
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I took it for a spin just now and my top speed going downhill was 12 mph. Low speed going up hill was 7 mph and it seemed to maintain 9-10 mph thru most of the in between.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #19
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapahoInjun View Post
I took it for a spin just now and my top speed going downhill was 12 mph. Low speed going up hill was 7 mph and it seemed to maintain 9-10 mph thru most of the in between.
Sounds like you're OK with the oiling, but I would still consider the premixing. As others have mentioned - all too often the first indication there is problem is when the engine seizes up. You've got a 30+ year old machine that has probably spent some time sitting. Do you feel THAT lucky?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #20
SlapahoInjun
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I do not feel that lucky...I will Just get to premix. Anyone have a link to how I can complete that conversion ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO