lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Default secondary clutch questions

Yamaha g1 stock cart gov removed
Wide open on jack stands and the rear pully will not open all the way up
I took everything apart and cleaned and lubed
The plastic ramp shoes look ok but were wore uneven so i filed them flat
The aluminum where the ramp shoes ride up on had a flat spot so i filed them back flat and polished them smooth and still it acts like it hanging up
bigcbizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Default Re: secondary clutch questions

Heres a pic to help understand what i did.
The three aluminum triangle things had flat spots wore in them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130903_184715.jpg (290.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
dewzer
Getting Wild

Funny you are doing this.
I just did one for a 6 wheeled sidewinder last night. Made by Hustler. Same task.
Your holding the sheaves open right?
When you set the spring tention set the inner keyway pointing in the 12 position.
Now the outter keyway is at 9 position. Spring is setting in its relaxed seat as there are a few .
Twist the outter counter clockwise to allign the key and assemble. "wind the spring" so to speek.
Also, 4 hands are better than two.
The sheaves on both parts should be parallell when butted up with each other without the spring or ramp shoes in place.
Mine has a seat for the shoe, thats why the angle.
The two aluminum parts (sheaves) should not come in contact with each other when opening or closeing, hence the slider (ramp). Aluminum to Aluminum is a break.
If you can easiely slide the drum when disassembled and have straight parellell angles and shoes on your sheaves you should be in business.
Mine looked worse than yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Secondary Clutch.jpg (198.7 KB, 0 views)
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
bigcbizle
Getting Wild

Heres what i did
I removed the 17mm nut and the outer pully half
Then i removed the key way and removed everything else
I cleaned and lubed the shaft and bearing in between the two halfs
I left out the plastic washer that goes in between the pully halfs.

I did all this because when you pushed in on the inner pully by hand ( basically like opening the clutch)
it seemed to hit a spot where it didnt want to go in smooth? Thats when i found the aluminum
Ramps had a wore spot in all three of them? So i filed them so it was a smooth ramp thinking that would fix it .
Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G1 does not have preload on the spring because it runs backwards in reverse, unlike 4 cycles, so no twisting the spring needed.

You should buy a new sheave for it (with new ramps on it). You can put it on without the spring and turn it by hand to see how smooth it is. The problem doing it by hand is if they are off the sheave tilts to the side and can bind on the bushing on the shaft and not want to slide....while under pressure from the spring/belt/etc.

The problem could also be in your primary clutch because the secondary only reacts to the primary. It only keeps tension on the belt, the primary determines when it shifts and all that. Also can be hard to tell when on jackstands because the secondary reacts to engine torque for part of its shifting actions. Usually they shift out faster on stands or in neutral (for 4 stroke carts with a trans). If it were the primary it might be an issue with the weights or binding from wear. Another problem is with worn clutches the belt can wear grooves in the sheaves, that changes the angle the belt sees, that changes how it shifts. More angle the belt can't climb the sheaves.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha