lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
salinasgoodoleboy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default HOW TO: 80's EZGO MARATHON DRIVEN CLUTCH DISASSEMBLY

Well after a good bit of research, and royaly screwing up my clutch, I figured i'd do a quick write up on it so that others can avoid my mistakes and save themselves some money!

Step 1: Remove driven clutch from cart.
I found the easiest way to do this is to put a block in front and behind one front wheel, spin the belt off the driven clutch, remove your shocks and springs, put a jack stand or something under the frame AND swingarm to keep them where they belong, unbolt the rear axle from the swingarm (4 bolts, 2 on each side), leaving the brake cables connected so that it doesn't roll away. Then just spin the axle up so you can easily slide the clutch off of the shaft.

IMAGE #1

Step 2: Cover and Set Screw.
Once you have the clutch out, set it on your bench helix side up. In the center where the mounting bolt goes through stick a screwdriver or punch in there just a little and pop the cap out of the hole. Under the cap you will find an allen set screw. (See smaller circle on Image #1) SPRAY SOME PB BLASTER and let it soak in for 10 minz or so, then remove the set screw.

Step 3: Removing the Helix.
The helix is pressed onto the shaft, and uses the set screw for alignment. You will need a 3 jaw puller to remove it (2 jaw may work, but 3 is ideal.)

Place a 3/4" bolt into the center hole (Big red Circle on Image #1) Just drop it in there, the head of this bolt will be what the puller tool pushes down on for leverage. MAKE SURE the head of the bolt does not overlap with the sidewall of the helix or you will break your tool or ruin the helix. It must be aligned properly and be of correct size.

IMAGE #2

Place the puller with the jaws in the crevices of the helix (See Image #2) and the bolt on the puller directly on top of the 3/4" bolt's head. CHECK one last time, that the 3/4 bolt's head is not overlapping onto the sidewall of the helix. Begin to slowly tighten down the puller. If you can not see it moving after a good bit of pressure, give it a couple taps with a hammer. Then go on and give it as much force as necessary. (I just use my impact)

The helix should pop off fairly easily, and contrary to what I have heard about some other styles of driven clutches, the spring DOES NOT come flying out...there was a slight jump and the spring reached its relaxed length and it didn't go anywhere.

And there you have it, the sheaves should slide apart and you are free to do what you need to!
salinasgoodoleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: HOW TO: 80's EZGO MARATHON DRIVEN CLUTCH DISASSEMBLY

Thanks for the post.
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
apaladin
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HOW TO: 80's EZGO MARATHON DRIVEN CLUTCH DISASSEMBLY

Great Post! Thank you for the contribution!
apaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO