lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Yet another jumpy throttle post...

OK guys, I have a few questions regarding throttle and clutch engagement.

First things first, I have a 95 DS. I lifted it with the All Sports 6" Super Sport and 23x10x12 Maxxis 938 tires. I just installed SD Belt and S/G belt, got the driven clutch machined, new spring installed and drive clutch has new buttons and 200 RPM spring installed. (Thanks Tom @ CPP ).

Now, before any of the above was done, still stock cart, I never noticed a jumpy start or hesitation before take off. After the lift, my cart would rev a little then jump to a start and runs fine after that. It is like it takes a second for the clutch to engage then, when it does it jumps in and goes. I thought the clutch work would fix the problem. Negative...

I have adjusted the throttle cable at the box all the way in and all the way out. It helps a little backed all the way in, but still jumps into movement. I notice in maintenance mode that the clutches will engage late with the throttle being depressed so that explains the jumpy start. The clutches have no in-between stages. I can't make it go half throttle or half engaged. It spins to the top while engaged. Is that normal?
drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Yet another jumpy throttle post...

The more I read, the more I think its the butterfly in the carb. I took the intake hose off while I was installing the lift but I didn't notice the "wings" missing from the butterfly. It may not be closing all the way, which is giving me the half throttle or no throttle response.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I also noticed that before the lift, I could feather the gas pedal and "idle" and not move. Now, after the lift and larger tires, it won't idle anymore. The pedal keeps going down until it revs for half a second then lurches to a start.

Does this sound like the carb to you guys?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The jumping/lurching is most likely due to the drive clutch 200 rpm spring,
It's to my understanding that it makes the drive clutch stay open at lower rpm's.
it's primarily used for a cart that "idles", so it won't creep, and prematurely wear the drive belt.
I bought the spring from Tom also, I just never put it in because I was able to get my cart to idle without creeping.
Most that have the spring installed, don't mind the jerk at start off, because of the little bit of extra torque they get with it.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Lockman1.I was afraid that it might get worse with 200 RPM spring but it was doing it WORSE before I installed the machined clutch and the springs! I haven't had a chance to check the butterfly but I am thinking that it is the problem. But if it is good then I will live with it. It just sucks that I cant ease around at 3-4 mph especially since I primarily use it to hunt with.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Usually, a broken butterfly will cause a "full bore/wide open" (no in-between) throttle response,
properly adjusting the throttle cable at the ECB (which you attempted)
and/or the linkage rod from the GO pedal to the ECB,
might help the low speed engagement/throttle response.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I haven't adjusted the throttle linkage yet. The more I think about it, it wont just "cruise". at 1 speed. I am either on the pedal or off the pedal. I just thought about that. I never really noticed it because while using it to hunt with I am constantly up and down hills or turning on trails. The few times I was on a straight-away, there was no "in between" throttle response. It felt like I had to pump the pedal to stay around the same speed.

I don't know why this just occurred to me?!

Would that explain why my clutches have no in-between? I don't know if that's right or not. if I depress the pedal far enough to engage the clutch, they spin to the top. Is that the correct operation for them?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

No it isn't the correct operation! go ahead a check the carb!

051.JPG

Last edited by lockman1; 01-23-2014 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Added pic
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Next question. If my butterfly is gone or looks like that, Should I pull the head and intake and see if I can find it or just not worry with it?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's probably not a bad idea!
I've heard of some that get chewed up and spit out, and some that gets wedged in the head.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car