lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Gilbertb11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default G29 w/ Tightened Gov Stutter Bogs at take-off

I've just purchased a G29 (with stock engine) online that I've completely tightened the governor on. The cart has Jake's lift kid and pretty decent sized wheels. After tightening the governor, it runs faster (gassy smell) but overall great performance. Initially, I got a single back-fire so I loosened the governor just a bit and backfire hasn't reoccurred since. Now the only issue I have is that every now and then it will bog on take-off. I got a new fuel filter and had a guy clean out the carburetor. Much more responsive and sensitive now but still on occassion will bog on take-off (not as much though). My thoughts are around the fuel to air mixture. I am mechanically uneducated but am always willing to learn. I can't for the life of me find the adjustment screws to allow for more air intake. Any help would be much appreciated and pics would be awesome. Thanks all in advance.

BTW, This is my first post - please be patient with me. Thanks.
Gilbertb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: G29 w/ Tightened Gov Stutter Bogs at take-off

The screw you are looking for is hidden under a black plastic cap. I usually take a lighter and heat up the black cap and just pop them off. I do this with the carb off the cart. Cigarette lighter and gas on the cart isn't safe so be careful. The screw is underneath the cap.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Gilbertb11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

dbmachine, thank you very much for the information. I'm going to take a stab a finding it tonight. If you happen to have a picture, that would be great. If not, you been awesome help. Thanks. Hope this solves the bogging problem.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Gilbertb11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

dbmachine , If this is the screw you're talking about under the black cap, I know exactly where it is. Again, thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_12.JPG (43.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Yep, that's it...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
dbmachine
Gone Wild

That's its. Sometimes with needle nose pliers you can pull them off. A little heat and they pull off easier.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #7
Gilbertb11
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a bunch Dave in VA and dbmachine. Question guys, I've got my governor screwed about 90% of the way closed to try and get a bit more speed (to try and ride short distances in neighborhood streets) and the engine seems to start to sputter on occasion. I assumed adjusting the pilot screw would introduce more air and take care of the issues (especially since coming to any stop really brings that gas smell around), but the question is how much do I adjust it if the governor is 90% tightened? Thanks guys.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertb11 View Post
Thanks a bunch Dave in VA and dbmachine. Question guys, I've got my governor screwed about 90% of the way closed to try and get a bit more speed (to try and ride short distances in neighborhood streets) and the engine seems to start to sputter on occasion. I assumed adjusting the pilot screw would introduce more air and take care of the issues (especially since coming to any stop really brings that gas smell around), but the question is how much do I adjust it if the governor is 90% tightened? Thanks guys.
The idle screw adjusts the fuel rate, not air. The exhaust fume smell is an issue. I greatly reduced that by attaching a section of 1/2 copper pipe to the output of the muffler and exited it to the side of the cart.

If you bypass or otherwise reduce the effectiveness of the governor and increase engine RPM, you may start running lean. Then it's time for one of Plowman's performance kits. This includes mods to the airbox for greater air flow, and larger jets to introduce more fuel.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 g29, carburetor adjustment, governor adjustment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha