lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
dennisholten
Not Yet Wild

Default pulsar coil?

I have eratic spark in my 1989 ez go. I am thinking of doing the HEI conversion but I am uncertain if the pulsar coil is good, I get 144 ohms and while cranking get approx. .200 volts, if the pulsar isn't working properly the HEI conversion wouldn't do me any good, would it?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis
dennisholten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: pulsar coil?

your pulsar is probably good. they rarely give out, and if they do they don't degrade first. the #s look ok. now the ignitors do go bad as can the coil . be sure all your connections are clean and tite. also check the plug wire-ez put in a lousy wire to coil connection.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Dennis,
Your pulsar numbers look good however your symptoms could be several other things that the HEI modification will not cure.

The first thing that I would check is the spark plug itself. It is a strange thing but when a 2 stroke plug craps out, it craps out and cleaning never really seems to help. You might just need a new plug (and if you do decide to make the HEI mod it won't be wasted money). Whilst you are there it would be good to replace the spark plug lead. If you wind it out of the coil you will see that the fixture is like the end of a wood screw so put a shot of WD40 in there and screw a new lead in. This might be all you need but if it is still not right then check the main ground on the chassis. This needs to be clean and tight so undo the nut and get it cleaned to bare metal. Also ensure that there is a braid strap from the common ground to the engine block (this being missing will give these symptoms).

I am not trying to dissuade you from modding your ignition but it would be a shame for you to all that work only to find it is still erratic.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
dennisholten
Not Yet Wild

Dave

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the plug and cleaned all the grounds real good. I also pulled the plug wire and cut off the end and screwed it back in (pretty phony set up) and still have the eratic spark. Could the ignitor be corroded on the back side and not be grounded? I'll also check the connections to the ignitor.

Dennis
dennisholten is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO