lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Cable lengths??? 2 gauge cable??? OBC??

I mentioned that I was going to change my cables on my cart to 2 gauge to a friend. He asked me if I wanted some 2 gauge welding cable? Long story short, I was given 2 lengths of 2 gauge Flex-A-Prene Direct welding cable. One length is 11' 8", and the other is 14'. Based on my searches on this site, that should be enough to do my 2010 Precedent 6X8. Also, while searching on a previous post, I understand 2 gauge cable will go through the OBC with a little lubrication. If anyone has experience with making this change please let me know. One more thing, does anyone have any preference to solder pellets over solder loaded lugs or vice versa?
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cable lengths??? 2 gauge cable??? OBC??

According to most posts I've read - and specifically this post: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...c-2-gauge.html no, it won't get thru. But its a super choice (especially free). I'm only 4 ga. but there are quite a few posts on making a stud connector to get thru the OBC.

Sorry, the solder question is not in my memory bank.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not all 2ga cable will fit through the OBC. It didn't with the type I used. I opted for the threaded stud method
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
jeremie1976
Getting Wild
Club Car

I'm using 1\0 cables . I left the stock wire hooked up an ran new wire around obc works fine for me . Charger still works as normal .
jeremie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
According to most posts I've read - and specifically this post: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...c-2-gauge.html no, it won't get thru. But its a super choice (especially free). I'm only 4 ga. but there are quite a few posts on making a stud connector to get thru the OBC.

Sorry, the solder question is not in my memory bank.
When you went to 4 gauge could you tell a difference?

I think it is a stretch if 2 gauge goes at all. I am going to see when I take it apart. If it goes fine, if not I will use the stud. I got a kick out of this spirited debate I found while searching. It is obvious from reading this thread, back then the debate was live and well. Some great one liners:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-computer.html
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
I got a kick out of this spirited debate I found while searching. It is obvious from reading this thread, back then the debate was live and well. Some great one liners:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-computer.html
WOW, WHAT A THREAD!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
T.Hill56
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Precedent IQ or converted to series? If IQ (sep-ex} you really can't force enough amperage into the motor to warrant 2 ga. 420 count 4 ga will carry all the amperage the motor will pull without appreciable line loss. There are two sizes of OBC's for accommodating 6 or 4 ga. cable. Might be possible to get the 2ga thru the larger OBC but then again, never seen an advantage.
T.Hill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

55 BigBlock - Regarding whether 4 ga. was an improvement on my Sepex/Regen 1 - I definitely did get the impresssion that it was much better at climbing the steeper hills - although at times since I was on grass the climb sometimes ended in wheel spin....especially true on wet grass. That's why when it was tire time, I mounted knobby looking (Kenda) turf tires vs the pavement/tread type. Plus they look cooler on a DS I think. There was no flat ground speed improvement, but I didn't expect any.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Dale-D
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check with ScottyB
He has some Bolt Thru connectors that fit the hole and use a cable on either side

I am not sure what he calls them, Just get with ScottyB, he'll hook ya up with them

Dale D
Dale-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car