lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
kevinrazor
Not Yet Wild

Default '84 ex go Marathon robin 244cc - starter generator issue

my starter generator will spin the motor when it's in reverse but will not when it's in the forward position. If I hold the gas pedal down for any length of time when it' s in forward the starter will begin to heat up and will smoke a little. Even when it spins in reverse the engine never seems to actually "start" it just seems as if the starter is the only thing turning the engine. Also, it does nothing when I stick it in Neutral. I am new to gas golf carts and especially ancient ones and have no idea how it actually functions although I am familiar with small gas engines. Just fyi my serial number is 343318, 84414
the starter-generator is a Hitachi GSB107-03
kevinrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: '84 ex go Marathon robin 244cc - starter generator issue

Do a cleanup of all grounds from battery post to frame and engine grounds. Now you should also check to make sure you are getting good spark and have compression from over 90#s to 125#s and of course gas is getting to the engine as to actually start it as you say the starter seems to be running it. If no go..
Then do a check of voltage as it is going through its routing from battery to the limit switch to the solenoid. If you are not getting solid 12 volts to the starter from the solenoid you could over heat the starter/gen. Other area's need to be looked at also as far as the rev/forward switch. Look over and do a 12 volt check from ignition switch on through to all items. If that fails you may need to remover starter/gen and rebuild it.
Search this forum for a good pdf manual download. You will see many posts with link.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
sbklf
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds similar to how mine acted. Lots of connections to fail there but nothing obvious on mine (like melted wiring). I re-did them all. Replaced any lugs that did not seem sound or looked like they might have gotten hot, wire brushed all the connection studs and nuts, made sure all the bottom stud nuts were tight on the device, poorboyed it and filed and shimmed springs to make sure the shift switch was making good contact in both positions, replaced the starting solenoid, re-made all the grounds and have not had any problems since. I also took the starter/gen apart and made sure the brushes moved free in their holders and polish the comutator a bit with scotch brite.
sbklf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
kevinrazor
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for both responses. I have done a lot of things but mostly cleaned and retired connections. I have actually started it in reverse only and it runs of course after cleaning carburetor. My issue again is it only goes in reverse at least until I switched the A1 and A2 connections to the B and D on the forward/reverse F/R switch. Now it starts in forward but not in reverse which I guess makes sense. I have downloaded many diagrams but can't find one specific to the 84 model. There are two diagrams that r very similar and seem to match my cart except they show different connects between the starter and F/R switch and solenoid so I'm not 100% confident I have all wiring connected right. I am thinking I may need to check the connects inside the starter because I know I've turned the studs a little when removing the outside nuts. Lastly, is the wiring to the microswitch specific? I have the correct wires to it just not sure if it matters if one is specific to one side of the switch. Any input is appreciated
kevinrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
redcloud
Gone Wild

If your f&R switch is doing its job and the solenoid is doing its job you are probably right that inside the starter/gen you have a bad connection. They run clockwise and counter clockwise depending on what connection is powered. If you are missing the forward connection contact you get no rotation at that setting. Take the started apart and do a rebuild and see if it can be repaired or needs to be replaced.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forward, generator, reverse, starter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO