lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: My Lithium Upgrade Experience

Looks great.

How much range do you get with this setup compared to lead acid setup?
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
bayareamtnbiker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Nice job! I looked hard a year ago at Lithium conversion for my Yamaha Drive G29 (w/500A Altrax & 9HP motor). Extra power and range would’ve been great, but decided, for now, that fire liability with an “experimental” Lithium pack was too much of an unknown. Ever seen a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone burn up? Can’t wait for a bonified certified Lithium pack for golf carts, and Elon Musk just might get it done. Must be at least a dozen Teslas in my country club community.
bayareamtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A very big name we all know and trust has lithium powered carts in field testing.
I suspect we may hear something this time next year.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #14
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Lifespan in this application is somewhat of an unknown. I expect to get more life than my FLA batteries out of mine (same setup as this in my Yamaha cart) but I don't know if they will last 10 years in the fairly warm environment here in Arizona. Lithium is not even close to break even with FLA as far as cost goes but for me it's worth it. Saves 250 pounds, gets great range, no adding water, very clean. Carts would come with Lithium if it was cost effective. I like that new BMS! I may upgrade mine.
I'm gonna show my ignorance here. When you do have to replace the lithium pack, do you have to buy a new pack with the BMS or just replacement batteries? looking at the prices on the EV site they seem to all be DIY parts or DIY assembled. I was just curious how much it would cost to replace an existing lithium pack compared to the initial conversion to a lithium pack.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #15
jesseasi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
Looks great.

How much range do you get with this setup compared to lead acid setup?

I have only had this setup for a few weeks and I have never really had "brad new" lead acid batteries to test. In the past using my Dad's golf cart with 4 12volt lead acid batteries - we could play 1 round of golf but if we ever played 36 we would rent another cart from the golf course as we never thought it had the range to make it around twice.

My best guest would be 3-4x the range with my 120ah setup. I played 2 rounds of golf and drove around the community for about 6 miles - and it still felt like we hat a lot left. I was at 54 v on my meter and 52 is when I probably need to charge.

Nick at Evbattery center said when I get to 52v I have about 8-9 miles left on flat roads. He said normally I should get 4 round of golf or go 4 days with 1 round per day between charges.

I know there is NO way the lead acid setup we had before could do that.

That is why with my next go around I will opt for the smaller 52-60AH battery setup. Plus they will be 60lbs lighter.
jesseasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareamtnbiker View Post
Nice job! I looked hard a year ago at Lithium conversion for my Yamaha Drive G29 (w/500A Altrax & 9HP motor). Extra power and range would’ve been great, but decided, for now, that fire liability with an “experimental” Lithium pack was too much of an unknown. Ever seen a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone burn up? Can’t wait for a bonified certified Lithium pack for golf carts, and Elon Musk just might get it done. Must be at least a dozen Teslas in my country club community.
Never seen a Samsung Galaxy S7 burn up, you must be thinking about another model. I have seen Sony laptops going that route, as well as Hoverboards and Samsung Note 7 tablets, but never a Galaxy S7.

Someday soon someone will be making a lithium drop in replacement, hopefully soon, and advertise it. If the range is much further, I will be one of the first to jump on that wagon. I still do not know how much the range increases, would be a nice fact to have....
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #17
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Curious. Will a lithium pack as described at the start of the post produce the high starting amperages of a hot motor? Are they affected by the cold as much as FLA? I know my Li cordless tools work better in the cold than ni-cads is it the same with bigger loads? Around here "cordless" cars get around half the range in winter than in summer but there is a heater and other factors that come into play.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #18
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am certainly interested in going to Lithium batteries in the future but I have just bought my cart with new lead acid batteries which should last 4 years or so. By then I'm hopeful that Lithiums will be available more readily and at a more attractive price. Keep your stories coming as it makes great reading.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think that expecting 16 years is a pipe dream. There is no data that says they will last that long. I expect mine to last somewhere between 5 and 10 years. If they go more, great! I take good care of them but 10 years is a long time for any kind of battery to last.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
jesseasi
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I think that expecting 16 years is a pipe dream. There is no data that says they will last that long. I expect mine to last somewhere between 5 and 10 years. If they go more, great! I take good care of them but 10 years is a long time for any kind of battery to last.
I don't think 16 years is a pipe dream. I own a Tesla with 50K miles and have seen no measurable decrease in range. I have also leased the Nissan Leaf and Fiat 500E. So you can say I have bought on to the electric world of transportation.

Maybe if I had went with the smaller pack 7-10 years. But that would be due to them not having enough range for me to make it through a round of golf. The 120ah pack I got is way over kill. I probably play 36 holes of golf 3-4 times a year. All the other times I golf I would be recharging every night. The battery pack sits in a dry storage compartment below the seat. It should never see extreme cold or heat. The BMS that comes with it controls charging - being careful to balance the batteries and not over charge. If one cell were to go bad it would not be that difficult to replace just the one cell. They are readily available on ebay and in the used parts auto world. Then of course these will continue to just get cheaper and hold more charge. In 10 years buying a lead acid batteries for a golf cart might sound crazy...
jesseasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car