lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #1
Ash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 85 ezgo 2 stroke siezed?

Long read. Not sorry.

Ok, so I dropped this cart off at a mechanic a year ok. Bought it for my Father in Law. It would run but was crazy sporadic with its speeds.
I finally picked it a few weeks ago when the guy said nothing was available for it.(my Father in Law passed while he had it and I didn't really want to get it back because of memories)

So fast forward to today. It doesn't run at all. I ended up changing most wires because they were either eaten or breaking.

I have spark/power everywhere (but no micro switch which is curious)

I now think the motor is locked up. I put a wrench on motor output shaft and it won't budge. Anything else I could try first?

It's upsetting because it least it did run before. And it was probably just a broken wire issue.
I jumped the generator and it does run(I removed belt)

Cost effective to just get a top end kit from ebay?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
Ash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 ezgo 2 stroke siezed?

Serial#81113 239585

Old 03-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Sorry for your loss and such a sad story, bad bad on the guy that was suppose to fix it........

I'd remove the engine setting it upright so the cylinder is vertical, pour some kind of a penetrating oil or even diesel fuel in the spark plug hole and let it sit for a day or two. Keep trying to turn it over with a wrench once in a while, hopefully you'll break it lose. If the piston is locked up in the cylinder you'll have a very hard time getting the cylinder off, need to break it lose first then disassemble to see what ya have....

IF it's the top end that's locked up then yes I'd say rebuild it, if it's the bottom end I'd take it to a machine shop that can press the crank and replace bearings. Where did the bad bad guy store it for the year? Under water??

..........Had another thought too......

Once you get it on the bench you might be able to determine top or bottom end by removing the four cylinder base nuts then try to turn it over, IF the piston is anywhere other than at TDC the cylinder should come up IF it's a top end lock up. IF it still won't turn over than probably bottom end lock........Good Luck and let us know what you find
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #4
Ash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate the feedback! Pulled motor yesterday. Going to bring it to work next week and pull it apart and see what's needed. Luckily I work for a fabrication/machine shop20220319_141207.jpg20220319_141313.jpg20220319_124818.jpg

Old 03-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #5
Ash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Another question. The generator, when I press the gas pedal it doesn't turn unless I hand spin the pulley while pressing the pedal. Bearings maybe? Fyi. This is with belt off.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

A three wheeler, cool.... I didn't know the 3 wheelers would have any differences than a 4 wheeler, are you sure it's an 85? I ask as I'm surprised to see the gas tank in the rear, but a few of the other tell tale signs I look for are indeed like an 85. Either way it doesn't really matter, looks like it's in great condition too.....

Assuming the electrical is the same as a 4 wheeler there should be a micro switch in the throttle linkage, it's hard to see but it's at the bottom corner of the firewall where the metal link rod from the gas pedal connects to a fulcrum. If you can see the fulcrum look really close next to it.....

From the fulcrum to the carb is a cable
Old 03-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

After blowing up this pic I see you must have removed the tank and just set it back there, found the pan it sits in. My bad

The red circle is where the micro switch should be, it's under that cable mounting bracket. The red arrow points out an after market solenoid, it must be rated at 12v and as constant duty. Not sure I like that idea, hopefully someone else will chime in with opinions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220319_141207_LI.jpg (1.12 MB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2022, 08:38 PM   #8
Ash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm Back! Ok, rebuilt the engine. Should be installing next few days.
Next issue is the motor brushes. Trying to find the part# for the brush holder.
Any more help appreciated!!

I found this?
https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com...HitchiBrshHldr

Ash
Old 07-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Great on rebuilding it, did you do just a top end or all? Crankshaft bearings and seals? Make sure the window in the side of the piston went to the intake side, many people put them in backwards and it won't run......

As far as the brushes go, if it's got a dead spot new brushes probably won't help. I would get a new S/G rather than take the risk of wasting money that would be better spent towards a new one.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #10
Ash
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

She Runs!!!!!
Rebuilt the Engine and the Generator.
Have to install the drive belt and clean up the wiring.

Still not ready to drive yet. But a huge step

Ash
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO