lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Modz max charger

OBC can fail in about a dozen different ways, some of which leave the cart inoperable, or can make it so the new charger doesn't charge the pack fully, or doesn't work at all. Best practice is to just bypass it and/or remove it entirely when changing to any other brand of charger.

It's not a big deal like Volt said. It takes all of Two crimp connectors to bypass it. Takes less than 20 minutes if you have jack stands and can get under the cart to access the wires on the OBC.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

They are decent chargers. I will say I tried it on a cart that had a operating obc and it didn't work. It only worked on a cart that had a bypassed obc. I think I read somewhere that it won't work on a cart with a functional obc and a 4 12v battery setup which is what I was trying to use it on.
Billetbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:39 AM   #13
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You do need to bypass the OBC if you try to use any charger other than the one that is designed to work with the OBC.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #14
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

The manufacturer claims the Modz Max48 will work with and without the OBC. I've used them both ways, but I think bypassing the OBC eliminates a potential failure mode. They also mention six 8v batteries which is curious.

From the manufacturers website: "The innovative Modz Max48 is one of the only golf cart chargers that works with onboard computer (obc) and non-onboard Club Car models with six 8v batteries"
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

I got one of these chargers. I had too after my A.C conversion. Been happy with it. Seems to charge alot faster then my old one.
Bubba78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #16
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Came back to the forum to ask the exact same question. Got stranded yesterday after our cart ran out of juice after being on the Modz Max since Halloween.

If you remove, or bypass, the OBC does that mean you can’t use the original charger anymore? You’re stuck with the Modz after that?

Is there a better charger than the Modz for someone that just wants to leave the cart plugged in all the tim and be ready to ride at the spur of the moment?
Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #17
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Once the OBC is bypassed, the original PowerDrive charger won’t work right.

The DPI Accusense is a better charger than the Modz, and I’ve had great success with them. I’ve heard good things about the Lester Summit II as well.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_s View Post
Came back to the forum to ask the exact same question. Got stranded yesterday after our cart ran out of juice after being on the Modz Max since Halloween.

If you remove, or bypass, the OBC does that mean you can’t use the original charger anymore? You’re stuck with the Modz after that?

Is there a better charger than the Modz for someone that just wants to leave the cart plugged in all the tim and be ready to ride at the spur of the moment?
Most of these chargers dont turn themselves back on and top off the battery once it discharges from sitting. They charge the battery when plugged in and then shut off... They wont top off again unless you unplug them and plug them back in. One work around may be to put the charger power plug on a timer. every time the power turns off and on the charger should kick back on and top off the batteries.
There may be exceptions but I believe there was some energy code requirement that califorinia put in place which resulted in manufacturers removing the option to automatically top off the batteries..

Another option is a faster charger. Similiar chargers like this can be purchased in multiple different amp ratings. one solution is to consider a much higher amp rated charger like the 30-35amp version here which will top off your batteries very quickly prior to use.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=SoqsN0fbcvsA
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #19
bwhitsonjr
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
most of these chargers dont turn themselves back on and top off the battery once it discharges from sitting. they charge the battery when plugged in and then shut off... they wont top off again unless you unplug them and plug them back in. One work around may be to put the charger power plug on a timer. every time the power turns off and on the charger should kick back on and top off the batteries.
there may be exceptions but I believe there was some energy code requirement that califorinia put in place which resulted in manufacturers removing the option to automatically top off the batteries..

Similiar chargers like this can be purchased in multiple different amp ratings. one solution is to consider a much higher amp rated charger like the 30-35amp version here which will top off your batteries very quickly prior to use.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=SoqsN0fbcvsA
Hey Audiedoggy, I was told by Barry Wilson in support out at DIY Golf Cart in Austin, TX same company as Golf Cart King, that the modz max charger will cut back on after being idle for 21 days. Not ideal, as most would want a charger to kick on daily or atleast weekly to top back up FLA batteries. Last I read they lose something like 6% discharge each day while sitting.
bwhitsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #20
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitsonjr View Post
Hey Audiedoggy, I was told by Barry Wilson in support out at DIY Golf Cart in Austin, TX same company as Golf Cart King, that the modz max charger will cut back on after being idle for 21 days. Not ideal, as most would want a charger to kick on daily or atleast weekly to top back up FLA batteries. Last I read they lose something like 6% discharge each day while sitting.
Good info, I've read they typically don't kick back on. I know my old school Lester doesn't.
I just bought a smart outlet which comes with a Bluetooth app which allows me to create customer timer schedules like for example cycling the power once a week.. that would solve the problem as well.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car