lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2022, 10:46 PM   #1
ethanrwhitney
Not Yet Wild

Default New 60l cart owner, battery charge seems short

Purchased a new 60l from the dealer two weeks ago. Cart was fully charged from dealer the first night we put about 17 miles on it and meter read 46 percent when being plugged in for the night. Cart was not charged properly and driven down to 26 percent. Now the cart will only get about 7-8 miles and be at 50% charge. Other than the long drain and improper charge the only thing that has changed is a sound bar was installed. Which is not run through a reducer but hooked to the two batteries giving off 12v directed by dealer. I may be wrong but it doesn't seem like the sound bar would affect range so much. I know hooked this way it will cause uneven discharge over time and more strain on those 2 batteries. Any help or tips provided would be awesome
ethanrwhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
derelicte
Gone Wild

Default Re: New 60l cart owner, battery charge seems short

Disconnect the sound bar and see if the range improves.

You could also have a bad battery.
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #3
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Do not go off of %, the meters are horribly inaccurate and come from the factory with the low voltage way below where you should take it. Go by voltage. Full charge should be 52v, I consider 0% at 48v at a standstill. You start going lower and you will damage your batteries and their remaining life. Sounds like they were over discharged and were damaged.

If you run it until it slows down, you are doing damage to the batteries.
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
ethanrwhitney
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by __JAG__ View Post
Do not go off of %, the meters are horribly inaccurate and come from the factory with the low voltage way below where you should take it. Go by voltage. Full charge should be 52v, I consider 0% at 48v at a standstill. You start going lower and you will damage your batteries and their remaining life. Sounds like they were over discharged and were damaged.

If you run it until it slows down, you are doing damage to the batteries.
So far I haven't seen a reduction in speed due to charge or voltage, I have seen the voltage down to 46 while running the cart. Today I disconnected the speaker and ran the cart about 15 miles and was around 66% charge. I didn't notice the volts. Is there an easy way to tie the speaker into the onboard reducer? It seems like disconnecting it made a difference
Old 10-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #5
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Speaker should be a minimal draw compared the cart motor. I have one and have seen no difference in longevity of the charge.

If it was not wired into the onboard reducer, how was it wired? Was it always powered on? That could cause a draw all the time and bring down the charge overnight.
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
ethanrwhitney
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by __JAG__ View Post
Speaker should be a minimal draw compared the cart motor. I have one and have seen no difference in longevity of the charge.

If it was not wired into the onboard reducer, how was it wired? Was it always powered on? That could cause a draw all the time and bring down the charge overnight.
It is wired to separate batteries to get the 12 volts. It is always on unless the fuse is pulled, but it is also charging when we are not driving it.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #7
derelicte
Gone Wild

That is a dumb way to wire that. I wouldn't go back to that dealer.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:21 AM   #8
ethanrwhitney
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
That is a dumb way to wire that. I wouldn't go back to that dealer.
so what would be the best way to wire it? it has a 48v to 12v reducer in it already correct? where is the reducer located? not sure where i would plug it in and if need a specific pigtail or can just connect the wires
Old 10-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #9
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ethan, Using only 2 batteries for the speaker will discharge those 2 batteries quicker than the others. This means the batteries are not at the same level of charge anymore. Or not in sync.

1) disconnect that speaker and wire it to the 12v reducer if you have one.

2) ya may need to get a standalone charger to charge all the batteries individually so they are all at the same charge level, then you can go back to charging them as a pack.

If 1 battery is not charging up to the same level it may be bad...

Keep us updated...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #10
derelicte
Gone Wild

It should be wired to the dc to dc converter.

You can try charging and discharging the batteries a few times to see if the voltage on each battery evens out. Otherwise you'll have to separate the batteries and charge them individually like memotoguzzi suggested.

I'd try the easy way first.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon