lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #11
Britgearhead
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 G22 Gas wont start

I just realized the coil has to be UN grounded to fire, and I’m talking to myself😂😂😂
Britgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #12
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

Jumping in... If the shop manual I just looked at is correct... the 2003 G22 is the same ignition system going back many years. If you simply unplug the two lead wire going into the cover - that is your engine ground, and the 'kill' wire for the coil. IF the kill wire isn't grounded - you should get spark. Only when this wire is grounded, will the coil not fire.

It sounds like you may be grounding something manually, the magneto requires no external power, just a magnet moving across the primary to fire it (assuming it works...). I recently had a coil that worked fine, for about an hour or two - then - dead. Can't be too upset, as it worked from 1996-2022.
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #13
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

LOL - funny enough, it may seem like no one is here, but, it's likely not many folks may feel they might be able to help.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:00 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I know a little about a lot of things, and way more about the club cars and ezgo’s. I’ve owned several G2/G9’s but not many Yamahas really other than that… I try and help but if I don’t know then I try to to pretend like I do.

Sometimes no response is better than wrong information
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:23 AM   #15
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I have a nice T shirt that says!

" I fix things, that is what i do, I know things too. What things i dont know, i dont fix."

Just about sums it up.

So, It seems like nobody is here? Just wait till the party starts
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:53 AM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I have a t-shirt that said “I’m with stupid”. I only wear it when I’m alone
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #17
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I have one too. I will put it on and we can have a party together alone
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #18
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

lol - mine is 'trust me I do this all the time...'

wore it to my first childs birth, the irony was not lost on the wife.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:15 AM   #19
Britgearhead
Not Yet Wild

Correct, I was indeed “grounding” the coil, rendering it useless. Disconnected connector, nice healthy blue spark, but still no sign of combustion. Squirted carb cleaner into carb with engine spinning and still nothing, no backfire, no exciting fire at all😠. In my 50 years of tinkering and maintaining everything from small 2 stroke RC aircraft engines, lawn mowers, motorcycles, cars, trucks, even commercial aircraft engines, I’ve NEVER seen an engine that won’t at least backfire or show SOME KIND of combustion. Compression still at 160, valve clearance within specs, simply has me baffled!
Britgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #20
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

ok, this one I might be able to help with...

golf carts unlike any other engine I've ever seen close the throttle plate entirely when no gas applied, so unless you open it up - nothing gets to the cylinder. Unsure how you are trying to fire it up, but if the throttle isn't opening (either thru the pedal or manually if you have access - it definitely will not do anything.

This I found out after my daughter and a friend were riding on his cart, and drove it... on the starter to my house. 'it is moving really slow' was a memorable quote.

It also had... no clamps on any fuel line, low fuel, cracked pulse line, air cleaner wasn't seated properly, and last - a broken throttle cable. Ask me how many things did I go through before finding the throttle cable busted... yeah, everything.

Yamaha hides the darn cables under the massive air cleaner, making it impossible to see what is happening without a mirror at the carb itself.

Pulled throttle cable - fired right off.

Yeah, these things work weird. Also weird, the grounding approach.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha