lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #1
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Default 2PG Oil Mix Ratio

I'm sure this question has been answered here, probably over and over. However, I searched the forum and came up without an answer.

So, I've got an '84 Model running a 2PG Engine. Would love to hear some opinions on Mix Ratio, I only use Non Ethanol Gas in case that matters. And I also don't mind if the Exhaust smokes and smells a little. More interested in making it run the best and last longer!

Thank you all in Advance!
Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2PG Oil Mix Ratio

128:1 I would use a decent synthetic like Amsoil. Also make sure the built in system is disabled.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
BrucecurB
Not Yet Wild

Thanks KGSC! I remember seeing that 128 : 1 number somewhere, but it sounded so impossibly 'lean', I figured I must be confused!

Bruce
BrucecurB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:35 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Looked a little more and 128 is the minimum. Most people are running close to 80..
Old 11-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I've been running 128:1 for 20 years in my 85, no smoke and no problems. That's exactly 5oz oil to 5 gal gas, no more no less. Be precise and consistent with your measurements, I mix it shake it tumble it around in a gas can first then pour it in....

Also, no need to use high octane premium. 85-87 is all it wants, anything higher is just a waste of money. Contrary to what a lot of peeps believe it won't run better or cleaner or won't do wheelies or go faster etc
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucecurB View Post
Thanks KGSC! I remember seeing that 128 : 1 number somewhere, but it sounded so impossibly 'lean', I figured I must be confused!

Bruce
Ah....another 2 cycle oil mix topic.....

Using "lean" or "rich" to describe the oil/gas mix is very confusing and misleading. Remember the ratios always read "Gas:Oil", meaning, "# parts gas compared to # parts oil".

With that philosopy, at 128:1 your fuel mix would actually be "rich", meaning, more gas than oil. An 80:1 mix would be a "leaner" fuel mix, with less gasoline and more oil. A 2 cycle engine will run better and make more power with a ratio that uses more gasoline and less oil. Always follow the manufacturer's oil/gas mix recommendations for the best results with power and longevity.

Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of using "one mix for all" oils and never ever ever use 50:1. I always recommend the manufacturer's mix recommendations. I also only use high quality 2 cycle oil like "Echo" or "Stihl" or "Amsoil". I use Echo because I can get it locally. Never use "Marine" 2 cycle oil.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Slo, just curious but why no marine 2-stroke? I normally use Echo or Amsoil but have used Mercury synthetic before without any issues.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Ah....another 2 cycle oil mix topic.....

Using "lean" or "rich" to describe the oil/gas mix is very confusing and misleading. Remember the ratios always read "Gas:Oil", meaning, "# parts gas compared to # parts oil".

With that philosopy, at 128:1 your fuel mix would actually be "rich", meaning, more gas than oil. An 80:1 mix would be a "leaner" fuel mix, with less gasoline and more oil.
Uh oh, have I been referring to it wrong all these years? To me, 128:1 is leaner than 80:1. Less fuel with the same amount of oil, I've always called that a richer mix? Of course I'm old so perhaps it's an old way of thinking LOL.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Slo is 100% correct. If you use too much oil you can actually run into problems overheating and burning pistons in extreme cases because the air/fuel mix is too lean. The more oil that’s mixed in, the less fuel that is in the ratio flowing through the carb and being burned. Oil doesn’t burn as easily as gasoline.

As for the marine oil, it doesn’t burn as cleanly as a quality 2 stroke oil does. Which can lead to excess oil not being burnt and depositing itself in the muffler. Not the end of the world but will lead to more frequent muffler bbq’s.

A good quality oil is always a good idea. Depending on the machine, I’ve always run at least amsoil but in some of my higher performance machines (2 stroke race quads) I never used anything but Klotz.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Marine 2 cycle oil is typically a "water cooled 2 cycle oil" vs. "air cooled 2 cycle oil". Two different formulas for 2 different types of engines. Air cooled engine run at a different internal temperature, for obvious reasons. The lubricant is designed to work optimally for each type of engine and using the wrong oil can be catastrophic. Most times, for short durations, one oil substituted for another may not cause much harm, at least to the naked eye. But if the wrong oil is used for long periods, additional wear, oil coking, and sludge buildup will occur, none of which is good for any engine. ALWAYS use the mfg recommended oil type, weight, and amount.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO