lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Need Charging Knowledge, desperatly!

Always, Always, check the batteries First!

Check each one for voltage..... they should around 8 volts!

Check for full of water. (water above the plates)

If you have a dry battery or a shorted battery, either one of these can cause what you described.

If you modify the charging system first without checking the batteries, you could be damaging your batteries because the charger will stay on continiously and it will no longer be fully automatic.

Checkyour big battery cables too. Yank on them to check for looseness. Lots of powdery looking residue is a good indication the terminal is being eaten up.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
dry
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need Charging Knowledge, desperatly!

Thanks Rusty all cables are good clean and tight, cart is well maintained and stored indoors. Batteries are all brand new as of a couple of months ago
dry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
dry
Not Yet Wild

Ok, here is what i have found went to move the cart from the garage into my shop last night to get the #'s off of the speed controller i turned the key on the battery light came on and would barely get me to the shop, it didn't have enough power to drive over a 1/2" bump. I checked the voltage in each battery and all 5 batteries showed around 8.25 volts except for 1 battery and it showed 6 volts. I put the single battery on charge for 45 minutes to bring it to almost 8 volts and then drove cart for about 1 minute, it was better but not right, you could tell power was still down. I then checked the battery that i had put on a single charge and it was back down to 6.50 volts but all others were still at 8.25 volts. "So is this 1 battery causing all my problems"? I am going to exchange it today for a new one since it is still under warranty. What do you all think?
Also Cudo's CartsZone.com Jimmy is a great guy and will not just take your money to be taking it like the shops in my area.......He wants to make sure you get what you need ONLY if you need it. he gets all my future business and refferals as well

Last edited by dry; 03-07-2008 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: *
Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

To answer your ? yes one battery can draw the life out of the rest of them. You are trying to over come the dead battery plus drive the cart.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

8.25 is a flat 8 volt battery. I recharge at 8.4. It is unwise to bring them down so low.....especially new ones.

Also one bad battery can cause the charger to apear to malfuntion. re: not shut off when one bad battery won't come up voltage wise, thus cooking the rest of the pack to death.
All you electric cart owners......Alway check your individual battery condition first!

Let me summerize........Whenever you have a charger or power problem....
Always check indivdual battery voltage First!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
BigDaddyRog
Not Yet Wild

Location: Mandeville, LA...bout 30 miles north of New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Also one bad battery can cause the charger to apear to malfuntion. re: not shut off when one bad battery won't come up voltage wise, thus cooking the rest of the pack to death.
All you electric cart owners......Alway check your individual battery condition first!

Let me summerize........Whenever you have a charger or power problem....
Always check indivdual battery voltage First!
Dagnabbit....I wish this would have been posted last week!!!!!!! I found that I have a bad 8v battery AFTER I won an OBC on ebay.
BigDaddyRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You still may have a bad OBC though....chances are at some point you WILL at least have to replace it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
BigDaddyRog
Not Yet Wild

Location: Mandeville, LA...bout 30 miles north of New Orleans

Well....I got it for $86 including the S&H charge......the guy said it was mistakenly addressed to his home and he doesnt even own a cart. So even if my current obc is good...I guess I should keep this new one around till I need it. Thanks, thats smart advice.
BigDaddyRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #19
dry
Not Yet Wild

Thanks,Guys it appears the one battery was causing all the havoc, the cart was used for an hour straight today and ran fine the whole time.....Its back on the charger now and will be rechecking the voltage shortly.Also J.C if your watching i still need to talk to you. I will be calling you tomorrow to maybe spend some dollars with you still looking for a deal on new tires and rims............
Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dry View Post
Thanks,Guys it appears the one battery was causing all the havoc, the cart was used for an hour straight today and ran fine the whole time.....Its back on the charger now and will be rechecking the voltage shortly.Also J.C if your watching i still need to talk to you. I will be calling you tomorrow to maybe spend some dollars with you still looking for a deal on new tires and rims............
Wait 30 minutes to an hour after charger has shut off to get a true (settled) reading on the pack and then on the individuals note any battery that is 1/10 of a volt less than the rest, a low battery can be brought up with a seperate automotive charger if needed. All the batteries must be the same (balanced) for the charger to work properly. Keep an eye on this, you are not completely out of the woods yet. Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car