lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

Hi guys,

Nice to be over in the gas section for a change - tired of trying to squeeze life out of an old EZGO '84 Electric cart, and thought a move to gas might be a better fit for me.

In looking for a cart, there is a local guy who will sell me an "early 90's" EZGO for $200 that "needs a rebuild". I've read a few of the other posts on the forum, and I'm not sure if rebuilding is hard or easy as (like most things) for some people it goes well, and for others, it does not.

My general technical skills are good - I have rebuilt a lawnmower before (yes, I know, 4 stroke), have no issues with changing my car's alternator, and rebuild vintage speakers for a hobby. However, this seems a bit more daunting.

Welcome everyone's opinions on the easyness/hardness of this, and if I would need any specialized tools other than my impact gun.

Thanks a bunch!
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

Is this the metal body or the plastic body? is it a 2 or 4 stroke? This will be a factor, as the metal bodies need to be repaired from dents, the plastic ones are indestructible. The 4-stroke engines last forever, but I don't know anything about the two strokes beside they spin both directions (rather than having reverse gear) and don't last as long. Some model information would be helpful
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks LGC - I've asked the seller for a pic, and noticed from reading other posts that the early 90's were where EZGO went from a 2 to a 4 stroke.

OK, just got e-mailed back - 2 stroke oil injected. He didn't have the ability to send me a photo, but said it was in good shape, with a canopy, and the body was green and mostly metal.

Problem is, in the country where I am, "local" is 30 miles away so I can't just pop over to see it.

Possible to rebuild for a reasonable dollar? And is $200 a fair price if the cart is in good-fair shape?

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 05-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Updated the post
Old 05-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

$200 is a great price, you can't find a working one for much less than $1000. regardless of condition if it works get over there and pick it up!
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Problem is it is non-running right now - seller claims it needs a rebuild. For $200, think I'm going to take the plunge anyways. How much would it really take to get it running (Famous last words).

BTW, I did find another post that lists the tools needed, and it only looks a bit tough if I wanted to replace the crank seals and needed to do some "pulling".
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

early 90s 2 stroke will be a 3pg. very easy to rebuild. if the bottom end (crank) is bad, you will need a total kit and it runs about $400. if it ok, then you can do the top end with piston, rings and cylinder for about $200. the clutch is easily home made. if you get it post back and let us know what you find. $200 is good if there isn't rust and the body is reatively straight. it will be a marathon model.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the tips guys - anything else I should look for when "checking under the hood"?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So got it home - here are some pics.

I guess my first question is what troubleshooting I can do to make sure the engine needs a rebuild. The engine can be turned by hand, and didn't seem tight or bound.

All in all, looks like a decent $200 spend so far.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
rusty shackel
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

dude you stole that !!!!!!
do a compression test wide open throttle see what you got .

rusty s
rusty shackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
doozerann
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ya looks good, a compression test would be a good place to start. if under 90# i would suggest a rebuild. don't be to intimidated the're fairly simple. see if it has fire at the spark plug, the carb will need good cleaning. ya can get top end kit for about $200.00.It is a 3pg engine. i just gave $300.00 for a 93 that was in worse shape but it has the 4 stroke engine and needed a $300.00 starter/generator. good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
doozerann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
am i crazy?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO