lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default need electrical troubleshooting tips on 2011 drive

Recently bought a 2011 Yamaha Electric Drive YDRE. I took it down to the frame and axle/motor to clean it up prior to putting lift kit and paint job. I also completely disassembled the pedal assembly and cleaned and lubed that. While powerwashing the frame I was careful not to directly spray electrical components. Everything is now back together but I missed or broke something, it doesn’t run. Not sure where to start the troubleshooting process. When I turn the run tow switch to the run position I here the click in the controller, I don’t hear any additional clicking when I turn the key to the on position though and I thought I remembered a click when I turned the key. The accelerator pedal doesn’t do anything in forward or reverse. It all ran perfect before I took it apart and batteries also held a good charge. I’ve checked for obvious loose connections. I have a good mutlimeter and know how to use it but where do I start? Does anybody have any advice as to the order of things to test and maybe a wiring diagram for my model?
thbarrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: need electrical troubleshooting tips on 2011 drive

Check out the microswitch in the throttle. You should get a solenoid click when you turn the key on too. You should also get a solenoid click if you push the cart forward a bit with the run-tow switch in the run position. No click when you turn on the switch or push the pedal suggests that the switch may not be wired like it was. Also check for blown or damaged fuses.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

No clicking with ignition key turn or rocking the cart. I only get the clicking when putting the tow switch to run. So I'm hoping that eliminates some of the potential testing. Like I think that because I get no click after ignition switch or rocking that eliminates the pot in the throttle from being my issue. I'll still put the meter to it though and test the resistance. Meanwhile where is the fuse in this thing? The manual shows a picture that makes no sense to me. Can somebody show me a real photo of the fuse? Also don't need wiring diagram, found that at the back of the manual. Won't have another chance to get out to the garage until the weekend so still welcome any other tips for debugging this.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The bad news is that it's the controller seeing the speed sensor that clicks the solenoid when you push the cart. If that isn't happening, the controller may have failed. First find and check fuses. I have a 2012 YDRE but I don't know exactly where the fuses are. And mine behaves the way you expect. It clicks the solenoid when I turn on the key and when I push it. IT also clicks once when you go from tow to run.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The bad news is that it's the controller seeing the speed sensor that clicks the solenoid when you push the cart. If that isn't happening, the controller may have failed. First find and check fuses. I have a 2012 YDRE but I don't know exactly where the fuses are. And mine behaves the way you expect. It clicks the solenoid when I turn on the key and when I push it. IT also clicks once when you go from tow to run.
I agree with this...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'll trace the wires and track down that fuse. Hope it's not a bad controller, like I said cart was running fine before I tore it down. I would think it's prob a connection or wire from working on it.

Unless could just getting water on the controller cause it to go bad? I didn't see any openings on the thing and thought it looked fairly weatherproof. Maybe I should have taken that off the cart before power washing the frame. Didn't hit the controller directly with water but it would have gotten wet from overspray.

The connection that is most suspect to me is the one going to the backside of the motor, 3 pins I think. While working on tear down hit that one with wrench and forced it apart, pins came out of the connector. I checked wires good, none looked broken, pins were all in good shape, and they slid back into the connector. Could that connection be the one coming in for the speed sensor? Do you know if that part comes off the back of the motor so I can test continuity on those wires? I feel like I better double check this.

Also is there anything I can test for on the controller (its stock) with my meter?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Water can do very bad things to electronics!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Two votes so far for controller as my suspect. Thanks for the replies, even if it's not what I want to hear. After everything I've been reading on this board I suppose that's a part I would likely replace someday anyhow. Before I do, are there any specific tests can I run against this controller to really confirm it's dead before buying a new one? What measurements in and out on what pins etc.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Heres som info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150818_124400.jpg (85.5 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks cgtech. Very helpful.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha