lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

Default 2007 key start club car, have to hold key for cart to run

My 2007 gas club car is a key start cart. When I turn the key to start, it just springs right back. I switched the key switch out with a new one and it does the same thing. It will run , but I have to hold the key switch the whole time. Is there something wired wrong on the solenoid ? Anyone had this happen before and/or possibly know a solution? Thanks
Rmiller863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 key start club car, have to hold key for cart to run

This is probably an issue with the top micro-switch on the throttle cam, or the rear switch on the back of the FnR lever.

The switches control the ground side of a relay which is kept powered by the solenoid, and in turn also keeps the solenoid engaged. If the coil activation side of the relay is opened, the relay disengages and the solenoid disengages. The Relay coil side is controlled by the two switches mentioned above. The easy one to check is the one on the FnR. Simply jumper the two wires there together. Should be brown and Red I think.

The switch on the throttle cam should have three wires Red, orange, brown. Jumper the Red to the Orange, and the solenoid should stay powered and thus keep the relay powered as long at the Shifter is in F or R, or in Maintenance mode.

If that doesn't work then test for 12V reaching the relay on the green wire with the Key On, and with the key turned to start. It should have 12V in both positions.
If that checks out test the Relay for continuity across the N.O. contacts with the Key turned to start. Those will have the Green wire, and the pair of Brown wires.
Tape around your meter probes so only the very tip is exposed to prevent shorting the probes against any other terminals during testing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #3
Rmiller863
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2007 key start club car, have to hold key for cart to run

This is a 2007 cart with the gear shift on the dash. It has the switch under seat. At the switch there is a solenoid(something) it has 3 prongs on it. Only one wire is plugged into a prong. Is that whole plug in(solenoid) bad? How should the wires be plugged into it? Thanks
Rmiller863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car