lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
geibracing
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 DS starting issue

Hey guys, i new here and i have been fighting an issue for a while. 97 ds will turn over and i hear the micro switches clicking when i hit the gas pedal but wont fire until i lift up on the gas pedal so it's just cracked a bit. So in a sense i hit the gas all the way down but takes 5 seconds or more to go unless i lift up on the gas and press just until the switches engage. I replaced switches, carb, fuel pump, lines and also the regulator ( wasn't charging the battery) . Do i need a new starter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
geibracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
geibracing
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 97 DS starting issue

Forgot to mention that i have a new battery in it as well. I've been reading on different threads that my symptoms could also be a bad rev limiter? i have good spark.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

cut and pasted my response from another thread to save some typing :)

Quote:
I would suspect a throttle cable adjustment. Make sure the throttle cable does NOT move before the starter/generator starts spinning. You SHOULD be able to run JUST the S/G without actually starting the cart by pressing the pedal only a little bit (cart won't run though because throttle is closed and no air going in).

If the carb/throttle starts to open too early, then by the time the S/G starts to spin, the carb is at a much more "open" position than it should be (just to throw out a number, we'll say 1/4 throttle), so it will be harder to start. Choking may help some, depending on how far out of adjustment it is. This would also explain why it will start if you slowly and lightly press the pedal down (less throttle open) and also why it runs great once it starts running.

Out of adjustment cable will also affect low speed operation. I set mine so I literally have a "crawl" speed... I could get out and walk faster than the cart is driving if I had a way to hold the gas pedal down.
You should be able to make most, if not all of the throttle adjustment necessary at the black box next to the airbox. There's a cable coming out of it that's locked in with a pair of 10mm nuts. Loosen these nuts, and adjust as necessary. I would start by moving the cable more INSIDE the black box, so that there's more slack on the cable inside the box. maybe 1/4". a lot of people try to tighten this cable thinking it will make the cart faster, and it does, but it also throws everything else all sorts of off when you don't make other adjustments as well.

Also check the cable running from your governor to the carb itself. it should move perfectly freely, with no "sticking" at all. If this cable sticks at all it can cause issues like this as well, because it won't allow the throttle to close completely.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
geibracing
Not Yet Wild

Perfect! i will give this a try. My only question is would this affect when the clutch engages? the engine will run and "chug" with the pedal pressed until i lift up on the pedal, then will engage.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

No it wont affect clutch engagement. The clutch engages when the engine hits a certain RPM. This is determined by thr preload in the spring inside the clutch. Your running and chugging is probably just too low of RPM for the clutch to engage.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car