lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Tell me about king pin bushings..

I have a G16 and want to see if the bushings are bad. how do I test them. Are they easy to replace?

Thanks
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Boris
DELETED

Default Re: Tell me about king pin bushings..

Extremely easy, Not like the Ford I-Beam where you had to knock the old stuff out, mash the new bushings back in then ream them ......... Just make sure the bushing on your cart haven't been worn through, if they have, look closely at the A-arm to make sure the holes aren't egg-shaped. If they are, it might be time for a nice 6" lift ........... Hold onto your old shims and see if you can use them along with the new for less up and down movement. It's not much but if something like that bugs you like it does me, check it out.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Extremely easy, Not like the Ford I-Beam where you had to knock the old stuff out, mash the new bushings back in then ream them ......... Just make sure the bushing on your cart haven't been worn through, if they have, look closely at the A-arm to make sure the holes aren't egg-shaped. If they are, it might be time for a nice 6" lift ........... Hold onto your old shims and see if you can use them along with the new for less up and down movement. It's not much but if something like that bugs you like it does me, check it out.
Thanks... But what is the best way to test them. I jacked it up and grabbed the top and bottom of the tire and pushed and pulled. Push on top and pull on the bottom and back and forth. There was a hint of movement but not much. I adjusted the toe and got that correct but the tires are like / \ well not that bad but you can see it. I know where I can get some lightly used shocks for $40 each but he said it probably said it was the bushings and wants me to bring it in.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by breugel View Post
Thanks... But what is the best way to test them. I jacked it up and grabbed the top and bottom of the tire and pushed and pulled. Push on top and pull on the bottom and back and forth. There was a hint of movement but not much. I adjusted the toe and got that correct but the tires are like / \ well not that bad but you can see it. I know where I can get some lightly used shocks for $40 each but he said it probably said it was the bushings and wants me to bring it in.
Good advice Boris! breugel..You did just what you needed to do. How much "play"? 1/16,1/8/or more? I'm leaning toward the shocks are worn out. Without seeing and checking, I really cannot give you a solid awnser. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Good advice Boris! breugel..You did just what you needed to do. How much "play"? 1/16,1/8/or more? I'm leaning toward the shocks are worn out. Without seeing and checking, I really cannot give you a solid awnser. Good luck Dave
1/16 at most.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Im thinking shocks too, because for the tires to lean in from bushings, they would be laying on the ground somewhere and so much play on the wheels that you couldn't drive it. Sounds like another dealer that wants to charge for something you don't need.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
1/16 at most.
I'd say shocks. Herd "Plowmans" can fix old shocks. You may want to check it out.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
lobo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I say if you have any slack replace the bushings
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Boris
DELETED

The easiest way I've found to tell if the bushings are crap is to knock-out the retaining pin remove the kingpin and then the spindle. Then you slip the kingpins back into the bushings and check for slop. Then put the kingpins into the spindle and check that for being egg-shaped also. If you aren't familiar with that stuff, it'll take every bit of 30 mins per side. If you do it that way, the guesswork will be eliminated and you just might save yourself from un-assing $80 bucks for shocks and maybe other things you might not need ($80 bucks means your a third of the way towards a lift kit)

There are other components that can be worn that will give the impression that bushings or are worn depending where you grab the wheel and wiggle it (IE) wheel bearings ........ Shocks I would think would be further down the "look at list. Isolate then eliminate

Toe in, is the front of the wheel pointing in towards the centerline of the vehicle .. Toe out is the opposite, If you're looking at caster and camber ( / \ )you can't actually adjust that on a stock cart without bending the A-Arms .... I'd look at the bushings and then repack the bearings and retighten the axle-nuts.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Tell me about king pin bushings..

Quote:
You can adjust the toe on a yammy to make it any way you want. /\ \/... Nature of the beast.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha