lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lifting for Dummies...researching alternatives (need help)

Is there a link or book that describes lifting a cart, describes or defines terms, offers choices, discusses the ramifications of increasing tire size and transaxle stress on a 9.5 HP OEM motor, etc.?

I want to lift my cart before I tear it up on tilled fields and hog rootings, have the resources to lift it, and do not want secondary effects to overcome the lift investment.

It has been recommended to consider 23" (or larger) knobby tires, aluminum wheels, 6" A-arm lift with negative offset, torque spring upgrade, etc.

How does one choose a suitable spring to modify the driven clutch for better traction up hills?

What has not been discussed are the secondary effects of more weight, higher traction, stiffer driven clutch springs, etc. on the OEM motor. Can it handle these after market modifications?

I am not looking to "go fast".
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lifting for Dummies...researching alternatives (need help)

Scondary and often negative effects of cart modification are discussed all over the site .... the 9 hp motor can only do so much work. Putting too big of a tire on your cart is the most common mistake. In my estimation stock motor carts gas and electric should stick to 3-4 inches of lift and 22 inch tires..... lets see what others have to say ......
P.S.
send the Driven Clutch to Tom @ CPP for machining and the spring install ....... best $ you can spend to improve torque some.....tell him I said so
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also go to the stickies at the top of this subforum, a good thread there by ezgo.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
McGar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I put a Jake's 3" lift on my stock 91 club car with 20" atv tires on 10" rims. This gave the cart traction on muddy sporting clays courses, and did not seem to compromise power.
McGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGar View Post
I put a Jake's 3" lift on my stock 91 club car with 20" atv tires on 10" rims. This gave the cart traction on muddy sporting clays courses, and did not seem to compromise power.
Add a little skid plate for the differential and you have a good combo for the stock powered cart IMHO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Lift kits are not all equal, there are strong ones and cheap knock off from china, if you buy a good one they are strong and hold up well, just make sure you set your toe and make sure you set your camber neutral or have a little negative camber (bottom of tire wider than the top) to keep the cart stable...

IF you go with larger tire, spend the money for a new HD clutch spring ($50) or a complete clutch kit spring and new plate ($100 bet bet) this will give you back the bottom end you lose from the larger tire and also help you go up hills and carry a load..
also replace the belt with a quality new one and it is not a bad idea for the cheap cost to replace the starter belt while you have it all apart, they are cheap

the one thing most mis understand is
if you put a tire that is 6" taller and a 6" lift your getting 12" total lift... NOT TRUE

for starter... you are only getting half the height of the taller tires (6"divided by 2 =3")

6" lift kit will give you 6" in the front and center of your buggie but not the rear

the lift will change the angle of the swing arm but the back axel will still be the same off the ground, the only axel height gain you will get is the height you gain from the tires, so you may gain 9" in front and center, but the rear is only going to be 3" the size of the larger tires...

also make sure you look at all your cables and wres to make sure your not pulling them to tight, some model cart have more play than others, on some you have to move the support bracket for brake cables to give you a little more play in it..

the only limit you have is the size of the wallet and how much work you want to do..
hope this give you a better idea for what your looking to do.. GOOD LUCK
RICHIE RICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
McGar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Scottyb, can you give me some hints/tips on the skid plate?

richie, what is this clutch spring and plate of which you speak?

On my lift, my camber came in perfect with the cart empty. Couple of fata**es on board may give it slight negative camber. After install of the lift, cart looked pigion-toed with all the toe in. Half an hour later with the help of a buddy and we had that adjusted to spec!
McGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car