lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2014 Club Precedent Front tires 2" out after Installing Lift

The thread count does matter. There are an infinite number of ways to get proper toe setting. Let's say for example there are 32 threads on each tie rod end. Correct toe setting could occur at 16 threads on each side, centered. But the same toe setting can be achieved by 30 threads on one side, and 2 on the other. The problem with the latter is over extending your steering and having a tire rub one direction and a poor turning radius the other way. Start in the middle and work both tie rod ends outward or inward until you get the correct toe setting.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

No doubt, in a perfect world, the threads would be exactly even with the wheels perfectly aligned and the steering wheel perfectly straight. And our carts would run on sunshine and rainbows. But if it always worked out that way, there would be no reason for the threads in the first place - think about it. They are there for fine adjustments in a non-perfect world.

All that said, they should be close, which is why you start with them equal and go from there.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 PM   #13
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

What ever , you should be able to turn the same amount each direction. It should not be that hard to do. If all else fails take the tie rods all off trun the stearing wheel both directions and find where center is. Put a straight edge on the wheels and get them both headed straight forward. Then put your parts on without moving the stearing wheel or the wheels. Adjust the parts to fit what you have aligned.

At least that's what I would do if I were having problems.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ok, Thanks guys, you saved me another 10+ hours of trying to get it perfect

So If I'm 11 threads on one side, and 8 on the other, and no tires rub and it drives fine,
Then all is good

I see your example 30 threads on one side, and 2 on the other. That would be extreme , and I agree

But If i'm within a couple of threads, then all should be ok

So when I set the toe in, that's in 1/4" - 3/8" in the rear, which would put the toe out
( front) at 1/4" - 3/8" wider then the rear correct?

Now that I know the threads don't have to be exact , I'll have it done in a hour

Man, this wooped my buy. It took 5 hours total to get the lift in etc, and 10+ of trying to get the threads exact on each side

I have to set the camber on the passenger side , and finish it up
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
What ever , you should be able to turn the same amount each direction. It should not be that hard to do. If all else fails take the tie rods all off trun the stearing wheel both directions and find where center is. Put a straight edge on the wheels and get them both headed straight forward. Then put your parts on without moving the stearing wheel or the wheels. Adjust the parts to fit what you have aligned.

At least that's what I would do if I were having problems.
I did this today. I removed the tie rods, used a framing square, and got the hubs square to the lift. It was perfect, and just a thread or two difference between the two sides

Lowered it off the jack, and one side went outwards on a load

I have no idea why
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #16
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The wheels will try to spread outward when you put a load on them. They should not move much. If they do something is loose or wron.

The toe - in, is inward, on the front side of the wheels. 1/8 th inch is what it should be. ( example back side of the wheels 37 3/4 front side 37 5/8.)
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #17
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

If the measurement is 1/4 to 3/8 out at the rear of the tires, you would be toed in, not out. I could swear once upon a time I read it should be toed in on one site and out on another or a how to video. So I would go with what TahoeDawg says.

First get the proper alignment and then use his "chase the wheel" method to center the wheel. Adjust both sides evenly until the steering wheel is where you want it. As long as you adjust both sides evenly, the alignment should be maintained but that is where your threads may become slightly uneven.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #18
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I have a 3 1/2" a-arm for my DS, (still not installed! )

For those of you that haven't had the chance to install a Madjax lift yet...
The instructions, AND the videos state that the Madjax specs is 1/4 to 3/8" TOE OUT!
Whereas, all other lift brands, and even manufacturers specs (Club Car anyways) require a 1/8 to 1/4" TOE IN!

I don't get it! But... I guess I'll find out next weekend!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #19
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

You may want to question the toe out vs. toe in with madjax. I installed one of their rear seats and they had all the hardware broken out into separate numbered packets, which I thought was nice. Then the instructions stated which packet to use for each step. Several of the steps did not match up with the hardware that was actually in the packets. When all was said and done, I didn't have any hardware leftover and all of correct nuts and bolts are where they should be but I had to figure some of it out on my own. So either they aren't doing a good job of keeping the instructions up to date or they aren't putting the hardware in the right packets. Either way, there is a quality issue somewhere. All that said, I am very pleased with the quality, fit, and finish of the seat itself.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's like oval track racing, every crew chief has a different setup for his race car..... I prefer 1/8" toe-in for the best feel.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car