lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #21
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 Club Precedent Front tires 2" out after Installing Lift

Perfect, I'm so glad I joined this forum !

You guy's saved me hours of guessing and researching !

Time for me to get back to work on it :)

One last question, I have allot of play in the steering wheel. It goes from about noon position to about the 2pm position before the tires start to turn

Is that normal ?

With the lift kit, everything has been changed except the tie rods, and steering rack
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You want at least a slight toe in (When the suspension is on the ground with you sitting in it.) Toe out is unstable. It will wander side to side when you are driving.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #23
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
.... I prefer 1/8" toe-in for the best feel.
At 30 some mph? that's the way I look at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post

One last question, I have allot of play in the steering wheel. It goes from about noon position to about the 2pm position before the tires start to turn

Is that normal ?
On a 2014? and a new lift? NO!... in my opinion, that's not normal!
I don't know Precedents very well, so I'll leave it to the competent Precedent guys!

Carry on!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I read this thread and I don't understand what the argument over the exposed thread count is....

If one side shows 11 and the other side shows 8, turn the 11 side in and the 8 side out.

You now have 10 and 9, the distance between the tires does not change.

If after You get the thread counts even, the steering wheel is not centered as it left the factory, it would appear someone else that did not know what they were doing has already adjusted the toe in.

Why would a cart with a 30 and 2 thread exposure not have the same distance between the tires as one with 16 and 16?

All you are doing with the uneven thread is changing the steering limits.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #25
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sergio,

I just started this morning again with allot more knowledge from here

This time, I started in the center of the threads with the tie rods, and used a 12mm wrench to make the adjustments until the tie rods line up with the holes

I'm working on this now, I'll keep everyone posted

I'm doing this on the ground , no lift so it doesn't change the toe in and toe out
Old 04-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Lockman, The cart came from a rental for a course. Not sure why they changed a cart 8months old.

So I'm thinking because it got used every day, maybe something wore out faster then a private use cart

The only thing I see that would give it play is the steering box?

I'm in the middle of doing the alignment now, time to get back to work :)
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #27
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
The wheels will try to spread outward when you put a load on them. They should not move much. If they do something is loose or wron.

The toe - in, is inward, on the front side of the wheels. 1/8 th inch is what it should be. ( example back side of the wheels 37 3/4 front side 37 5/8.)
Thanks, I'm doing this now
Old 04-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #28
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Here's some pictures I took yesterday before joining this forum. You can see how the passenger tire was way out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154[1].jpg (485.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1533.jpg (463.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 146[1].jpg (414.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #29
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

From the last few posts, you didn't say it specifically, but it sounds like the play was in the wheel before you put the lift kit on, right? That should be the case as there isn't anything about a lift that should make such an issue worse or better. But, no it's not normal. Maybe someone did something with the cart to damage it in such a way that it caused this issue. After installing my lift kit and centering my wheel (thanks to my post and Tahoe's response, which is now a sticky), I was riding along beside my neighbors fence. I got too close to one of his fence posts and the passenger side front tire grabbed it and I came to an abrupt halt. The alignment was knocked out of whack after doing that but I couldn't find where anything appeared to have gotten permanently damaged or bent and I didn't get any extra play in the wheel. I went back and adjusted the tie rods to get the wheels back aligned but I did not bother to "chase the wheel", so now my steering wheel is off center again. So, sometime this week, when I get a chance, I'm going to go back through the process that is in the sticky and has been discussed here and fix it back up, but I'm not going to let a couple of threads difference on either side bother me, as long as the alignment is correct and the wheel is centered.

I've never had the front end toe'd out on purpose but I would think it would make the steering harsher with the front tire on the side opposite the direction you are turning basically fighting to go the other way. Based on what I described earlier with the Madjax rear seat and install instructions and hardware packets, I think it's highly possible they got the toe wrong on their lift kit instructions too. Then again, as David pointed out, it could be a preference based on how you want it to ride and feel. If you can get it down to 1/8", that's not much toe in either direction. I'd consider that virtually straight.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #30
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yes, Sorry, the play was in the wheel before the lift was installed

I have the wheel at 12 O 'clock, and everything bolted back up to a 1/8" toe in, front tires measure 1/8" less then the rear

front = 29-7/8" and rear = 30"

I also figures out why I was off so many threads once I centered everything up

The Madjax Lift has an adjustment at the top of the shock for Camber, and the Bottom

One one side I was 4-5 threads out on the lift, and the other side I had one thread showing

I had to readjust these equal which they don't say anything about, and that made the steering rack threads more equal

I'm now tightened up, and going to take it for a test ride , and re-adjust if needed

I now have 5 threads remaining on each side , and the steering wheel @ 12:00

Once I test ride and got everything working, I'll chase the steering wheel play

Only thing I can see their is maybe a new steering rack
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car