lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
projectkr8
Not Yet Wild

Default Ergo rxv 2008 brake solinoid question

Group, I converted my rxv from four 12 volt system to a six 8 volt system and it has been great. I have had the cart since 2-2009, I bought it used and had no issues other than normal maintenance items. I have read the 50+ pages on the mechanical motor brake and it sounds like the brake solinoid and the mechanical brake are two different items. If it is where is the brake solinoid located? Two days ago my cart would go from running 19.5 mph to coming to a sudden throw you into the steering wheel stop. The batteries are 5 month old Trojan Rangers and all show 9.6 volts when I check them. I checked for loose wires and plugs and everything checks out good.
projectkr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Ergo rxv 2008 brake solinoid question

Brake solenoid is somewhat of a myth on a Rxv. Only brake solenoid is for activating brake lights, has nothing to do with stopping the cart. The main solenoid has been an issue on early Rxv. Take the motor controller cover off & inspect the main solenoid. Also snap a pic of it & post it here. The solenoid you would like to be seeing is the round one, not the tiny rectangle one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
catmcaw
Gone Wild

cgtech
Is the new style solenoid a direct fit/bolt-on or are there mods that need to be done?
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The "old style" solenoid was hard wired into the harness. So the wires would be cut & small ring terminals added to connect to new solenoid. As far as bolting on, it attaches to cart with existing bolts & hardware.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
catmcaw
Gone Wild

I also have a 2008 and with my luck its the old style, I just wanted a heads-up on what it would take for the swap. Thanks for the answer.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
projectkr8
Not Yet Wild

CJTECH, I took a picture but I haven't figured out how to post it yet. It appears to be the original rectangle style. I drove the cart for about 8 miles tonight after thinking I might have found a possible cause. I was wrong, it locked up at about 4 miles. After about 15 minutes I got the solinoid to click and drove it home slow. When it locked up it appeared it was pulling the charge scale down to 1/2 to 3/4 charge. When I got it to click it went back past full charge. When I got it home each battery still showed 8.5 volts.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
catmcaw
Gone Wild

I'm thinking the brake could be the problem. If you've never replaced the brake I bet its the old style (handle) and have been lucky its lasted this long.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
projectkr8
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmcaw View Post
I'm thinking the brake could be the problem. If you've never replaced the brake I bet its the old style (handle) and have been lucky its lasted this long.
This seems to be a intermediate problem, when the brake fails does it fail and not work anymore or does it fail and lock up every once in a while as it is going bad? After I cut it on and off a few times I have been able to get it to run again. But I can't keep driving it or someone is going to rear end me. It is the original brake with a handle. It has never been replaced siince I have owned it since 2-2009.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
catmcaw
Gone Wild

I know enough about cart repairs to be dangerous. Me thinking you have a brake problem is just a guess. I'm thinking normally people complain about a burnt or hot smell and you have not so maybe its something else.
There are plenty of post on here about RXV brake issues.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
projectkr8
Not Yet Wild

I feel the same way, but one thing about the forum is a lot of people have already been down this road and I like the option of hearing everybody's opinion before I start swapping parts out. For everybody that replied to my post A big Thank You. I am going to order a brake and a solinoid. My wife wants me to get a new 2017 Yamaha, but if this works I can kick that can down the road a little longer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO