lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
Whipped500
Not Yet Wild

Default EFI vs carb?

How do the two compare? Same power?

Any advantages of one over the other?

I think I would prefer to go EFI but wanted to see what everyone else thought first before ordering. I need to give plowmans a call and see what he can do more with or see if what he can do with the EFI will suit my needs?

Thanks
Whipped500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EFI vs carb?

There is no comparison between a carb. and an EFI system!

The carb is a mechanical device with no brain! it has know idea what the rest of the engine is doing. It does not have a way of computing how much air the engine is getting. It just delivers the fuel.

The EFI uses sensors to tell the computer how much air is in coming, sends the proper amount of fuel for the best, cleanest burn. For the largest explosion, That is what we want, the air fuel has to be correct.

If your old enough to remember cars with carb's we had to change spark plugs 1 or 2 times a year because the carb. was over fueling the engine. Now with EFI we never change them. Its because of proper fuel/air ratio. As a result our piston rings and valves also last much longer and better fuel mileage.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

EFI is less maintenance, don't have to clean it and rebuild it like a carb. Don't have to worry about choke, cold starts, etc. it just "works"

However, down side is down the road several years serviceability is not as easy because everything is computerized. And parts are more expensive. Carb dies, $40 for a rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner, you're back up and running. With EFI the fuel pump, injector, computer, etc. cost will be a lot higher to replace parts. If you add high flow air filter, exhaust, etc. tuning can be a lot more difficult than just upgrading a jet in the carb.

There's up sides and down sides to everything. Personally I would pick EFI. it just works better overall. part failures are uncommon, but do happen so worth noting.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have had cars and boats with carbs and efi, maintenance is reduced with the fiel injected however you should index your plugs, that said if you index them with a carb they will run slightly better also. With the injection you program the engine profile... so it runs according to programming. We use less than 1/2 the fuel at 3/4 throttle from wot, not a huge difference in speed. Plugs will last longer , it will run cleaner. Fuel injection will suffer more from old or water in the gas so I use marine stabol in everything. when a carbrated motor is running poorly I suspect crappy gas , nothing like fresh gas and new plugs to refresh performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I've had both. Have EFI now. Two main things you would notice just driving them is the throttle response and smoothness is better on a more consistent basis with the EFI and there is a lot less gas fume smell when running the EFI over carb.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha