lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
surgn
Not Yet Wild

Default Trying to fix the toe - having major problems

Hey all ... new to the forum and can really use some help. I have a precedent IQ model and I bought it used. Has a 4-6" lift (not sure how to tell) and the toe is set OUT. The cart bumps down the road due to the toe being out. I have watched videos on bringing the toe in and just when I think it's getting close - the toe goes in like crazy and it's impossible to drive. Any idea why this is happening? I can't even get it to 0" toe before the tires are so far in it swerves so much the cart almost flips. It looks like a kid who turns their feet in if that makes any sense. I don't get it. I also changed all the bushings. Any help is appreciated!!
surgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Trying to fix the toe - having major problems

You have something worn in the front end. Jack up one wheel at a time and grab the tire and shake it up and down and side to side. See where the play is coming from and replace it. Most likely bushings. What model lift is it. Is it a spindle lift or a double a-arm lift. If you don't know post a picture of the front end.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

I just worked on a buddies cart that was having a severe toe in problem with his lifted cart.
I set the toe in and it would go back out to the inside or outside within a short distance
I jacked it up and did the test that WalterM6 mentioned. There was slop everywhere. The front lift was a piece of crap that someone had jury rigged together.

We replaced the front lift with an A-Arm lift.

You have something worn. As mentioned jack it up and see where it's coming from.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
surgn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. About to jack it up to see if anything is loose, but wanted to send these pics in case it helped. Not sure what kind of lift this is. And who knows if the guy before me did it right. Assuming he did, but you know what they say about assuming. Thanks again
Old 11-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
surgn
Not Yet Wild

Jacked it up and shook it around. Seems the only play is coming from the king pin area. I bought a bushing replacement kit and replaced all the front bushings, but there weren’t any extra for the king pin. Do I need to replace the entire king pin assembly deal? Thanks again
Old 11-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

That's looks identical to my buddy's front end that I had problems with.
It's a spindle lift.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If that were my cart I would replace the spindle lift lift with a double a-arm lift kit. Reason being is that you will probably replace every item in the frontend and you will still have the death wobble. With the a-arm lift you will be able to correctly adjust the camber and the toe in. My choice was the AllSport 4" A-Arm lift but there are others.
My 2¢
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Spindle lifted Precedents are the worst. There has to be some play in the kingpins or they wouldn't be able to turn. I have chased that same issue and once you get one item tight as you think it should be, you'll find something else has just a bit of play (tie rods, steering rack itself, any of the many bushings on springs, control arms, etc. The geometry of a Precedent is so close that any tiny bit of give can cause you problems. As WalterM6 suggested, an A arm type lift is going to be your best bet. Better geometry and much more adjustability.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If that were my cart I would replace the spindle lift lift with a double a-arm lift kit. Reason being is that you will probably replace every item in the frontend and you will still have the death wobble. With the a-arm lift you will be able to correctly adjust the camber and the toe in. My choice was the AllSport 4" A-Arm lift but there are others.
My 2¢
Yup, that's what we did. That spindle lift sucks because you can't adjust the Camber on them if any. Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess that spacers could be added to the spring pack.

An A-Arm lift is a bit more complicated to adjust but it's not bad. Get the camber right. then adjust the tow in.
The problem with both lifts is the spring/s relax after a while and need to be readjusted. On the spindle lift, you have to deal with the tires squatted out. An A-arm, the camber can be readjusted then the tow in readjusted.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
surgn
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all. I felt some play within the kingpin so I replaced the bushings, but of course - as you stated ... when I once again tried to fix the toe - the tires went from / \ to \ / and the cart almost flipped. Stupid spindle lift. Guess I’ll just get the a arm lift as you suggested. But someone mentioned something about spacers. Anyone tried this and been successful? Trying to save $300 if I can. Thanks again

Tags
camber, lift, toe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car