lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
ted4420
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default MSD Ign. System for 350cc motors from Fast Freds

Does anyone have pics and info on the MSD ignition kit for a built 350cc engines with a 295 head? I did a little trading with bhfear for his 350cc with a 295 head, cam and all the stuff etc. I was told that I can use a MSD ignition system from Fast Freds to get revs above the stock rev. limiter. (Idon't know what the stock rev. limiter in the igniter is set at) I would like to know what is a safe RPM to run the motor and does the MSD kit have provisions for rev. limiting? Please help!! Thanks, Ted
ted4420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: MSD Ign. System for 350cc motors from Fast Freds

Have you had any mods done to the valve train? I know the stock seats will beat into the head if you adjust the gov. to high...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: MSD Ign. System for 350cc motors from Fast Freds

I have a printed picture of a complete motor that was mailed to me. I don't have a scanner. Sorry. Im purchasing one (you know) and don't know if it's got a rev- limter or any more info than you know. You can look at MSD's web site for Buells and Harley applications. They will be very similar. I know it will run to 7K+ and I hear that's when it wants to come apart. These motors NEED stiffer valve spring to run over stock rev-limiter.
Factory operating RPM 3400+ or 14 MPH
Rev Limiter RPM 4200 (guess) 17-18 MPH
AT or APPROACHING 4200 will damage a stock motor ( I swear by experience) The cam beats the rockers, and then seats get beat back into the head. I just had to find out! What?? The motor was old!! Give Fred a call. PM him here. he's a good guy. I'll look for his number, but may be in my shop. tony
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's at the shop.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Ted, I don't remember what size tires you have but they look to be around 24". cart should run 26mph + on the stock igniter with the gov adjusted. I've run these engines for years with the gov adjusted with no problem. The valves will wear on some of the engines because they weren't harden, this is what has lead to them wearing into the seats and needing replaced. for years now the replacement valves have been harden and this is slowly becoming not as big of issue as they get replaced. I would ask bh if he replaced those and the springs, my guess would be he did cause of the cam. You need to run a good synthetic oil. I don't know about the msd but I would try to limit the rpms to around 5500, that'll put you up around 40mph if you have enough horse power to make it run that fast. I kinda doubt it'll go much over that with that engine and all that weight, so you'll probably not have to worry to much about it, just watch out for over reving on take off.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
ted4420
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ruready,(or anyone else) I have a stretched Workhorse that I put bhfear (Brock) motor in.My cart in my photo is a stretched TXT with a ST Sport body on the back. I want to hook up the throttle linkage direct to the carb. When I received the motor the throttle linkage went to the the diff. governer direct without any spring.The diff. gov. would pull the throttle pedal back. I would like to go direct to see when the rev. limiter kicks in to see if I think I have enough power. If you have any photo's of the throttle going direct I would sure like to see them. I finally got a motor in this cart and am going to sell it. I am wondering if going to the expense of the MSD is worth it. Thanks, Ted
Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
ted4420
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tonyton, Thanks for the info. Ted
Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
ted4420
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dirtysouth, Mods have been done. I will have to get with bhfear. I lost the list of mods. Thanks, Ted
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My current cart, new MCI350 no mods in 99 workhorse, gov.adj all the way, 28 deg clutch, Top speed 25-27mph w/ 22" tires. Thats pretty good for stock. It won't peg the rev limiter out on flat ground, only downhill. Thats probably 30 mph.
If you're bouncing around a golfcourse it is too fast for personal comfort!
See ya'll tomorrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO