lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
inline6power
Getting Wild

Default electric to gas conversion?

i have a 97 lifted ez go 36v electric and i am just fed up with the electric scene. is there a way i can convert what i have to a gas setup? thanks and sorry for a question that has probably been asked many times before.
inline6power is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: electric to gas conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6power View Post
i have a 97 lifted ez go 36v electric and i am just fed up with the electric scene. is there a way i can convert what i have to a gas setup? thanks and sorry for a question that has probably been asked many times before.
You would be better off to sell your sparky cart and buy the gas cart you want since pretty much everything is different on the two carts.
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Of course you can, anything is possible. You would probably need to find a donor gas EZGO so you could swap the whole swinging arm and rear axle, then the world is your oyster.
Changing from electric is a good thing to do as the human brain is not designed to be in close proximity to the electro magnetic forces given out by batteries and dc motors. This is why most sparky cart owners dribble a lot and and talk nonsense.
Welcome to the real world of golfcarts
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
inline6power
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Of course you can, anything is possible. You would probably need to find a donor gas EZGO so you could swap the whole swinging arm and rear axle, then the world is your oyster.
Changing from electric is a good thing to do as the human brain is not designed to be in close proximity to the electro magnetic forces given out by batteries and dc motors. This is why most sparky cart owners dribble a lot and and talk nonsense.
Dave
welding and ect. is not a problem at all. i have a new 24hp motor here, just need to find a doner cart to swap some parts i guess. does anyone have a good source to locate a junker gas setup? thanks in advance.
inline6power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Cartrodder75
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have an '81 CC that I am converting. I got it for free from my boss. I Have a 6.5 horse engine. I pulled the electric motor, gutted it, turned the shaft down to move the bearing farther up the shaft, cut the back aluminum housing down, bore a hole for the shaft to slide through, bolted it back together and put a sproket on the exposed shaft end. Then I flipped the axle around to get the sproket on the left side. Now I can mount my engine in the center. So far I have about $200 invested in the whole project. Will cost me another $20 for steel to make my engine cradle, and about another $50 to make custom dual exhaust. Later I will upgrade to a 13 horse engine. I'm using a Harbor Freight engine that makes 6.5hp at 3600 rpm, the factory electric motor only made 4 hp at 3600rpm. With the custom exhaust it's supposed to make 8hp.
Cartrodder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Dave
Note to self: NO Christmas card for Dave.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Cartrodder (with the 6.5 motor) You can not compare HP straight accross like that. The torque a 4hp electric produces is terrific compared to 6.5 gas. Even 4 stroke to 2 stroke power is no comparison... I think you will find the 6.5 will only run the cart on flat ground.... It does sound like you are having fun and a using a lot of ingenuity .... post pics and results ... perhaps the bigger 13hp would be a better choice.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Cartrodder75
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I was told by a small engine shop that 6.5 horse will be plenty to do what I plan. It may not have a lot of bottom end, but LOTS of top end. My cart has 6:1 gears so it should fly. I'm gonna do the 13 horse engine when budget allows.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO gas golf cart was ever put into production with so little hp.
And believe me the smaller engined GC are pathetically underpowered so your cart should be the weakest of them all.... They had trouble on the hills and under loads. They failed with big tires on them off road. Which is why there are hundreds & hundreds of builds posted on this site of people putting bugger not smaller engines in their carts......

I'm not trying to be mean. But you have to stop telling everybody to build a 6.5 hp gas cart from an electric ..... at least until you get one built and show the results.... okay?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Cartrodder75
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm not telling people to build with a 6.5 motor. I'm just saying thats what I AM USING. I'm not gonna put big tires on it, it's just something to mess around with in my spare time. I'm tired of building cars and wanted a different kind of challenge that is all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO