lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
mowin
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken wire in charger cord.

Just picked up a 05 TXT a couple weeks ago to use at camp. The charger seemed to work as it should. I pluged it in at nite, and the next morning the charger was off. Ran the cart throught the that day and the next. This past firday eve I went to plup her in, and noticed charger cord was frayed where it meats the large cart side plug. Looking closer, the red wire was broken and was not making contact at all. I looked like it was broken for a while as the copper was tarnished. Would the charger still work with that broken wire? I did fix it , and had the cart plugged in from 10pm friday till 9am Sat, and the charger was still charging. Should it take that long to charge? Batterys are new Interstate workforce...Any info would be helpfull...Thanks
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broken wire in charger cord.

Welcome to BGW!

Which charger do you have?

Some of the automatic types need to sense the battery pack voltage via the third wire in in the output cable to turn on, but others do it internally.

Here is a drawing of the charger plug with the third wire connected to the Auxiliary contact (Labeled # 36)

Also, for maximum battery longevity, you should be charging your batteries every night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Plug - opened.JPG (40.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
1. had the cart plugged in from 10pm friday till 9am Sat, and the charger was still charging. Should it take that long to charge?
2. Batterys are new Interstate workforce...Any info would be helpfull...Thanks
1. New batteries can take a long time to charge. Charge time gets shorter as they mature.
2. Is the a part number on the batteries or bill of sale? Interstate deep cycle batteries come in five flavors, anywhere for 208AH to 251AH.
The standard cart battery is about 225AH.

It is too late for the first part, but new batteries need to be fully charged before first use and then properly broken in to get maximum storage capacity.
Here is how to break the in:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While there, read everything with the word "Battery" in title. Lots of good info.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
mowin
Not Yet Wild

I puschased the cart with the batteries from a local guy who buys a bunch of carts every spring and rehabs/sells. He is also a Interstate battery dealer. I looked up the battries on Interstates web site, and they are listed as cart battries..dont remember what the part #... The drawing u posted is the one I have, and it is wired correctly..or should I say I wired it correctly..

I didnt want to leave the charger plugged in all week at camp when I'm not there, because i wasnt sure the charger was working correctly. I will be back up in 2 weeks, and will plug her in overnite before I use it.
...0810121803b.jpg
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO