lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jake's lift front end question from Newbie, Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
The factory kit for the Medallist/pre 2000.5 TXT carts could probably be adapted with a bit of fabrication.. The basic suspension design is very similar.. You could also just weld a "crash bar" across the front of the Jake's axle to protect the tie rod from any impacts..
Correct - I have done this for customers. The main problem with that is how many Marathon owners want to pay $350.00 for a lift AND then pay for the fabrication work!

Our guy here already has purchased the lift, so I meant no debate over that! My main question / comment was the concern for our new friend having his tie rod exposed up front! (Problem with MANY Jake's lifts) Especially that style available back then with the additional "t" bar in the middle for adjustment purposes.

When completed, you might consider adding some sort of 'skid' plate to the front drop axle for protection as CC-John suggests!

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #22
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
QM, In the first pic, the tie rod is exposed to anything you drive over instead of being protected behind the front axle like the OEM installation... The other pic is the factory drop axle on my TXT.. Both spindles have risers that elevate the tie rod where it's protected by the axle like the stock installation..
CC-John. Mine is just like the first pic. Mine is 2nd or 3rd hand,came with the cart as I bought it. Most marathons I see are like that. There is not enough room for me to flip my drag link to the top. It would ( looks like ) it will hit the springs. I haven't and problems so far , knock on wood ( my head ) .
It does raise as the tires go over something.

I like your setup better & have been thinking about a cc rack for mine, nut that's another story.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

CC-John, I like the license plate frame.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #24
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello mpeter5 and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
mpeter5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thx Rusty! I would be really lost w/out all the help I've gotten here, and I'm just getting started! Thanks all, again.
mpeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #26
mpeter5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yo guys,
Front end done and pseudo-aligned. Drag-link underneath(middle) instead of on top as instructions would indicate. Everything busted loose to adjust the alignment.
No offense to anyone, but I would probably not recommend this kit to the week-ender (me) that hasn't done this before. I think the kit is fine, but the instructions need to be tailored to the specific model and should be photographic, not some sketch.
Will do the back tomorrow, anticipating a much smoother mod??!!
As always, thx for the info!
mpeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #27
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Is it just me - Or does anyone else feel like the exposed tie rod is an accident waiting to happen?
I agree, I dont like the drag link that low. What I would do is drill out the taper and then switch over to a newer (2001+) drag link tha has the shoulders you can use to tighten them up. That would get the drag link up about 2 inches for more clearance.
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO