lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
cartdood
Not Yet Wild

Default 90 Marathon Will not stay running

First some background...

I've had the cart for around a month. Probably ran 2 gallons of fuel through it. I bought 89 octane fuel and mixed it with AMSOil at 100:1 ratio. The cart has ran pretty good considering it's age until a few days ago.

I had just got done coming up a decent sized hill (on pavement) which I have done many times and the cart pulled great. Almost as soon as I reached the top the cart acted like it was almost out of gas. It would be running, but not fast enough to keep the clutch engaged. It was very stop and go. So I check the fuel and it is pretty low. I add another gallon but it does not help. The cart will start and then die or rev up and down like it's not getting enough fuel or something.

Things I have done. The air filter is about 1 month old, the spark plug is new (and I switched it out with two other ones just to make sure it was not the problem), the fuel filter is about a month old. I disconnected the fuel filter, emptied it and hooked it back up. As I was cranking the engine I could see the fuel filter filling back up. I was able to get the engine to run somewhat by covering the intake with my hand almost completely. In effect I was choking the engine, when I did this I could get the cart to run, poorly but it would run.

So this is where I am at. I am very much a novice on these things so it could be that I have overlooked something.

One more thing, where the throttle is connected to I guess the governor?? on top of the engine it looked like on the bottom of the engine there was something similar that perhaps should be connected to the governor on the top of the engine? I'll post a picture this evening. It looks like you could connect a rod from the top of the engine to a similar looking thing at the bottom and they would move as you depressed the accelerator. Anyway I don't recall ever seeing something there but then again I wasn't looking. Maybe that is the problem? Sorry for the long post and the horrible description! Thanks!

Last edited by cartdood; 03-26-2009 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Left out something...
cartdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 90 Marathon Will not stay running

Is the plug wet when you pull it. The new better fuel may have loosened up some gunk and have clogged the carb inlet needle or the main jet giving you low fuel flow so choking it helps. Clean the carb and install a new filter.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
cartdood
Not Yet Wild

You may have solved it, I don't recall the plug being wet when I was changing them out. I'll check this weekend and see. Sounds like there is some junk in the carb. I'm hoping it's easy to remove?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

That was a very good detailed description and points right to the carb.
Here's my thought, Tank gets low and sloshes up some trash (or water) from the bottom. Water will pass through a filter before trash but both will happen.
Trash has clogged the main or low speed jet in the carb. Holding your hand over the carb will force fuel to be drawn into the motor any way possible so thats why it will run but not right.
Pull the carb and disassemble, clean and blow out, reassemble.
Also check the tank for trash or water and blow out fuel lines and filter before you try to restart.

If you have trash in the tank, the best way to clean it is to use the syphon hose to "vacume" the bottom while it drains. Mitch
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
cartdood
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 90 Marathon Will not stay running

Well I took the advice here (partially) and got the cart running. I thought that instead of taking the whole carb off I would take the easy route and just remove the bowl. It was full of junk! I don't know how the cart ran at all! I removed the bowl, cleaned it all out, sprayed carb cleaner all over the carb and then cranked the cart for a bit to flush out anything that may have been in the lines. I then reassembled and the sucker started right off the bat. I should have mentioned in my previous post that it did seem that a couple of days before it quit working it seemed like it was lacking power and I had just replaced the starter/generator belt and I thought maybe it was too tight or something. But now it runs better than ever. So thanks to all who gave advice!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Glad to here you are running again.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO