lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
texmex
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Gas EZ-GO ST Express Shuttle 6 - Advise

Let me start by saying hello to all as I am new here, and hoping to get some good advise on how to modify our stock 2008 ST Express.

Not sure if you will need this info but here it is just in case:
Engine: 13 HP (rated), 401 cc Single Cylinder, Air Cooled, Gas.

Here's the deal:
I live in Cuernavaca, Mexico which has no EZ-GO golf dealers/service within a half day drive. For reference, I am about 12 hours from the Texas border. What I am hoping to do with the cart is get more torque, a little more speed, and try to make the cart as quiet as possible.

The cart actually is used at our companies private resort to shuttle our business guest around in, see the local golf courses, etc. The thing is, that this area is very mountainous and when you have 6 adults on the cart trying to go up a steep road, I feel like I need to get out and help push. The cart will make it up without my help, but it's almost embarrassing how slow it climbs the hill. The rating is recommended at a maximum of 25% or 14 degrees, but we have some hills here that do exceed this limit. What do I need - a new transmission, a new clutch, a new muffler (to quiet down)?

Side note: Want to say hi to Mike from Mike's Motor Toys. I spoke to you last year over the phone about buying this cart for my dad for father's day from you, but you were sold out of the red/white package and father's day was only 2 weeks away and you didn't have one coming for a month or so. I will definitely call you when I am ready to buy my next cart. You were a big help in making the decision to go with this cart, and my dad loves it. Thanks.

Another thing. We have a very good mechanic here who will be helping make any modifications to the cart. I have noticed in some threads that instructions on how to adjust the governor are frowned upon, as it seems to be illegal in the US (not sure if I am correct), but in Mexico almost nothing is illegal so if adjusting the governor will help make a difference in some way please let me know how to do this. If this type of question is not answered in the forum, will an EZ-GO service (or one of you) be able to provide instructions over the phone on how to do this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shiloh
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 Gas EZ-GO ST Express Shuttle 6 - Advise

Hello and Welcome to BGW!
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I recall having them within your time frame - You never called me back after I left you messages! Ours would have been setup correctly BEFORE shipping -

Anyway, the adjustments are very basic, yet I will not post them over public forum.

Making it quieter is not an available option.

Glad to hear you are well

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello texmex and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
sundownshifter
Gone Wild

Club Car

WELCOME!
sundownshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
texmex
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome!

Mike - I moved to Mexico just before father's day, and not long after that I just stopped keeping my phone on because of the crazy phone bills I was getting because of the international calls. I should have given you my home phone number - my fault. Like I said before, I will definitely be calling you for my next cart. You obviously know you stuff, and really do give an honest and fair price.

My dad and I took the cart out today because I wanted to try something. Since I'm not a mechanic, I may not know the correct name of the part I pushed on, but I think it is the throttle cable. My dad got up to full speed, then I reached back and push what I think is the throttle as far as it would go, and it made us jump at least 5mph faster, maybe more. It also helped going up one of the steeper streets. Is this the same thing that adjusting the governor would do?

I know Mike said that making the cart quieter is not an available option, but is it possible to use an aftermarket muffler to make it quieter. I'm not really worried about voiding the warranty since I live so far away from any authorized dealers, so if it is even possible with a small car muffler (i hope that doesn't sound dumb, but like I said I'm not a mechanic), I would appreciate any advise. Hey, anything is possible right?

Also, would a different clutch make a good enough difference in the torque, or is changing the transmission (obviously more expensive) the best way to go. Price is not really an issue, so I welcome any recommendations. Thanks again for the welcome. I look forward to getting some replies.

Last edited by texmex; 03-29-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
WW
Republica De Norte Cuba

Yamaha

Welcome
WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmex View Post

I have noticed in some threads that instructions on how to adjust the governor are frowned upon, as it seems to be illegal in the US (not sure if I am correct), but in Mexico almost nothing is illegal so if adjusting the governor will help make a difference in some way please let me know how to do this. If this type of question is not answered in the forum, will an EZ-GO service (or one of you) be able to provide instructions over the phone on how to do this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shiloh

It's not illegal for anyone to adjust their governor on their cart in the US or anywhere else. (J.Q. Public, not talking about dealerships and the EZGO policies) What happens allot is some kid gets on here and wants to make daddy's cart faster so he jacks the governor all up and doesn't have any respect for it and blows daddy's engine. THEN daddy wants to know who/what/when/where told the kid how to do it. (just an example) The information is here and has been discussed in many threads. The most important thing you need to know is the consequences of your actions. If YOU adjust YOUR governor and YOU damage YOUR engine as a result, get hurt or hurt someone else gets hurt it's NO ONES FAULT but YOUR OWN. You can see why some shy away from just being open about this procedure.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
texmex
Not Yet Wild

Roady89 - thanks for your input, and I fully agree with you. As I said in my opening post, I have a very good mechanic who will be performing any mods we (my dad and i) decide to go with. This guy has worked on everything from our lawnmowers, generators, our cars and trucks, bulldozers, basically anything with an engine. I'm not the guy looking to transform this cart into a balls to the walls race ready beast, I simply want more torque for climbing our mountainous roads with 6 adults on board, a little more speed (5-10mph), and to quiet the engine noise as much as possible.

It cost me over $12K for this cart with the 15% import tax and shipping to Cuernavaca, so trust me I am not going to risk damaging the mechanics of the cart.

This cart is mainly used to shuttle around multi-millionaires who fly in on their personal jets for a 3-4 days stay at the resort. The cart looks awesome as it is, I am just wanting the engine power to match the looks.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I dunno, more speed normally means less torque! Just my .02
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 ez-go st express
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO