lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
chaosgeneration
Not Yet Wild

Default cranking noises at startup and slow down

Hello all,

I have a fairly new (2008 EZ GO 2+2, lifted w/ mud tires, etc.) golf car that I use at my lake house. We rent it out so we constantly have people we don't know using it. I just got on it for the first time in 6 weeks and have noticed something... when you accelerate enough to start making the car moving (basically when it goes from neutral to drive), i hear a loud cranking noise for a split second. also happens sometimes when slowing down.

got concerned so I opened up the top to watch it while I was driving. only thing i could really notice was that the engine was knocking back pretty far when you accelerate and sounded like it was creating the noise. I couldn't really find the cause though....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-chaos
chaosgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Glacier Girl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cranking noises at startup and slow down

Umm, if it seems like the engine is moving a lot, you may want to check the mounts and or mount bolts. Could be some prior operator treated it like a rental, and broke a mount, or as I found in mine, the tech who installed the new engine decided all the mount bolts really weren't needed.

I nearly got crushed changing the oil in mine the first time. Had to remove the skid plate.
When last bolt came loose so did the motor, dropping down on me. The tech never installed the two upper mount bolts and all that was holding the motor in was two of the skid plate bolts.

Repairing this got rid of some strange noises I had been hearing. Also it fixed the starter/generator belt seeming to be loose at times.

Kinda off the subject, but do you have a big time insurance policy? Knowing the general public and how they treat somebody elses stuff, especially rentals, and what they will try and do with them, I'd hate to have Joe lawyer come knocking on my door because some renter did something stupid on my cart and got hurt.

Only talking from experience, luckily on the abuse part, not the lawyer. I ran a collision repair center before retiring, and I had rentals come back in all kinds of shapes. Like the one that got towed back in because the belts came off, still had the numbers on the windshield, listing it's times from the local drag strip. Or the one that came back with both rear tires flat spotted into the chords. Junior was trying out Rockford turns, slamming on the hand brake and spinning the car 180 degrees on the highway.

Remember the McDonalds coffee suit, people will always blame/sue someone else for their stupidity and lack of common sense.
Glacier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
chaosgeneration
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Umm, if it seems like the engine is moving a lot, you may want to check the mounts and or mount bolts. Could be some prior operator treated it like a rental, and broke a mount, or as I found in mine, the tech who installed the new engine decided all the mount bolts really weren't needed.

I nearly got crushed changing the oil in mine the first time. Had to remove the skid plate.
When last bolt came loose so did the motor, dropping down on me. The tech never installed the two upper mount bolts and all that was holding the motor in was two of the skid plate bolts.

Repairing this got rid of some strange noises I had been hearing. Also it fixed the starter/generator belt seeming to be loose at times.

Kinda off the subject, but do you have a big time insurance policy? Knowing the general public and how they treat somebody elses stuff, especially rentals, and what they will try and do with them, I'd hate to have Joe lawyer come knocking on my door because some renter did something stupid on my cart and got hurt.

Only talking from experience, luckily on the abuse part, not the lawyer. I ran a collision repair center before retiring, and I had rentals come back in all kinds of shapes. Like the one that got towed back in because the belts came off, still had the numbers on the windshield, listing it's times from the local drag strip. Or the one that came back with both rear tires flat spotted into the chords. Junior was trying out Rockford turns, slamming on the hand brake and spinning the car 180 degrees on the highway.

Remember the McDonalds coffee suit, people will always blame/sue someone else for their stupidity and lack of common sense.
Okay, I'm about to go check the engine mount bolts.. when I had my rx8, the car made similar noises and I was told the engine wasn't mounted good enough so.. maybe its coincidental.. :)

The only real insurance I have is covered under me renting out the house with permission.. So .. maybe I should look into getting it covered. :/ I'd hope that when people are renting out my house at 600$ a night they are smarter than trying extreme wheeling or anything...

Also, when would you suggest cleaning the carb and changing oil/filter? I really have no way of telling how many hours are on it.. with no trailer to tow it to a technician. I would assume right now it's got about 15-20 hours on it though.

Thanks!
-chaos
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Glacier Girl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Umm I'm sure the other's will chime in but I'd say if you're not sure, it's not going to hurt to change the oil now.
Like I had said I come from an auto background, and well on a new engine I only run the small stuff for 10 hrs before the first oil change, that way any stray metal shavings and such get cleaned up and trapped by the filter.
I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all my stuff, seems like it actually quiets the motors down.

Umm, not sure what you mean about cleaning the carb. Is there a problem?
If you're seeing oil build up in the air cleaner, then somebody has too much oil in the crankcase.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
chaosgeneration
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Umm I'm sure the other's will chime in but I'd say if you're not sure, it's not going to hurt to change the oil now.
Like I had said I come from an auto background, and well on a new engine I only run the small stuff for 10 hrs before the first oil change, that way any stray metal shavings and such get cleaned up and trapped by the filter.
I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all my stuff, seems like it actually quiets the motors down.

Umm, not sure what you mean about cleaning the carb. Is there a problem?
If you're seeing oil build up in the air cleaner, then somebody has too much oil in the crankcase.
Okay.. thanks for that info.

I looked back at the mount and it doesn't seem like anything is undone.. but.. the engine still rocks a little bit sometimes. I guess I'll have to find some kind of manual for the mounting points to make sure everything is secure..

nvm about the carb, I was thinking about something else... :P
Old 04-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Glacier Girl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

In case you can't find the manual, look here in the tech section, service/parts/owners manuals are all there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO