lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
cavecitynova
Not Yet Wild

Default First post ready to learn.

Well here goes my first post in the tech section, ready to get started making the cart improvments. I did finally locate the serial number on the cart we bought last week. It is JG5 214144 I also noticed on another thread that JG5 denotes a G9 cart. I hope I am straight on that so I know what I am dealing with here. I have not really determined the actual year model yet so if anyone can set me straight on that I guess I can at least properly describe the cart.
So far the main problem I am having with the cart seems to be choke or vacuum related. I searched some other choke related post here but nothing seemed to jump out as being exactly the same symptoms I have.
The problem is to keep the cart running the choke needs to be feathered on and off. When it drives with the choke off after warming up it backfires when I let off the throttle. Then tends to die out and the choke must be applied again to continue driving the cart.
Here is what I have tried so far: removed and inspect the spark plug, very sooty/black replaced with a new one. Removed carb to clean and inspect. Found a crack in the plastic carb adapter hopefully repaired the crack with epoxy. Dissassembled carb and cleaned bowl and orffices with carb cleaner. smaller holes were I used a tip cleaner to make sure they were not plugged with foreign material. Reassembled and adjusted as per instructions found on another post. Fos not seem to change the problem. I tried disconnecting the air box from the carb and it did not seem to make a difference.
Plans: I will check the compression and see what it is. Other than that I am ready for opinions here. Sorry soo long, thanks for viewing. Craig
cavecitynova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: First post ready to learn.

Welcome to BGW!

JG5 214144 = 1993 G9

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. I would buy a new plastic carb spacer, sounds like it is sucking air. Make sure the air box is sealed tight. Next would be fuel lines and the vacuum line going to the fuel pump, replace them. If it still need the choke to run, then I would pull the fuel pump off for cleaning/repair. See here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...fuel-pump.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
cavecitynova
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, I will be sure to check the fuel lines & pump. I guess the plastic manifold would be a dealer item?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Our site sponsors can help you with that. Click the link in my signature.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That serial # would put your cart as a 1993 G9. Check out http://www.everythingcarts.com/yamaha.aspx
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I would also suggest a new manifold gasket (between cylinder head and manifold), seen them "blown" before, causing a simular symptom.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
cavecitynova
Not Yet Wild

Looks like I will have plenty to check when the weather breaks. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha