lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Dripping oil

I added a little 2 cycle oil to the gas on my G1 because i have the governor cranked up and was afraid it might be a little lean with just the oil injection and now i have black oil dripping from the bottom of the engine on the right side. Is it excess 2 cycle oil that isn't being burned? The cart runs great and has good power but i'm concerned i messed something up....
RCDART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Dripping oil

Its probably dripping excess oil out the muffler pipe. Hope that helps.
Calvin
ic746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Actualy it's wet right under the crank on the right side and maybe the left too i gotta look.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDART View Post
Actualy it's wet right under the crank on the right side and maybe the left too i gotta look.
It could be coming from the crank seals. Check the backside of the primary fixed clutch sheave. If there is oil coming out of the seal where the crank comes out of the case on the clutch side it's very probable that it may be coming out of the seals (could also be rings causing excessive crank case pressure). What's the compression reading?
If it's only on the passenger side check the muffler outlet first for excess fuel/oil not being burnt. If the cooling fan shroud area has oil it's probably the seal.

I've also heard you can spay the seals with something like starter fluid while running in neutral, if the engine revs up the seals are bad. I've never personally tried this but it does make sense.

In any case let us know what you find.
ace_ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

It's leaking on the right side only under the shroud, compression was about 90 in both directions. The cart runs great, probably in the 20-25 mph range and does much better on the hills after i shimmed the secondary clutch spring so it won't upshift so fast. There's no crankcase oil in these correct? It's lubricated by the 2 cycle oil? Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
rib33024

So was the cart dripping oil before you added the oil to the gas, or did it start after adding the oil ???
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

I started noticing it after i added oil to the gas, i just put a couple gallons of fresh gas in it, hopefully that will help dilute it.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It shouldn't leak oil there, regardless of whether you added oil to your gas or not. Pull the cooling shroud and trace down the leak. You probably need to replace the crankshaft oil seals. Might as well do both sides if one side is leaking. After 25 years or so, this is to be expected, and being proactive now will save you a lot of grief later. 2-cycle engines don't like air leaks. A toasted engine is the usual result.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

How hard is it to change the seals?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
RCDART
Not Yet Wild

Oh i checked the plug yesterday and it's a nice light brown with no oil or carbon deposits.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha