lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
headedtothelake
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 Club Car Lost Power

I recently purchased 2005 club car and put in storage. I have been starting it about every 2 weeks. This weekend I went to start and it began acting like it was warming up ( the temperature has begun to get a little chilly) after a couple of minutes the vehicle did nothing when the accelerator was pressed. After a few minutes of continuing to press accelerator the motor would start to run then stop. At times it appears that it will run but the belts just click and won' turn. Any ideas? Prior to this it ran fine.
headedtothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 Club Car Lost Power

Start out simple, Put a charger on the battery!

If you've been starting it, and not really running it, your not giving the starter/generator time to do it's job!
A weak battery will give you all of those symptoms!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
headedtothelake
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Lockman, I appreciate the advice. I will give anything a try. I don't think this is the issue since the back up buzzer and lights are working but anything is worth a shot.
headedtothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It may not sound like that's it, but I still have my stock 5 year old battery in my cart,
and have all of those same symptoms, if I throw a charger on it overnight, the symptoms go away!
My cart is home now to go on a trail ride with other BGW members, and the battery will be the first thing I'm replacing!

Note: if you turn your headlights on, and then try to start it and they go dim... I mean REALLY dim... the battery charge is low!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

It's the battery, Lockman is right.

I hadn't used my cart in a few weeks and was messing with it the other day and it was doing the same thing. Took a bunch of choke to get it started (which I expected since it was cooler and it hadn't ran in a while) but would only go 10ft or so and shut off. Then it would not want to start (just turn over) for a minute. Let it set for 30 seconds and it would go another 10ft and die.

Tossed the battery on the charger for a few hours. Threw it back in the next day and it is all back to normal.

The backup buzzer and lights take a tiny amount of juice to run. The power needed to start and keep the engine running is much greater. I had this issue on my old sport quad too. Went out one day and it wouldn't start. Would crank for ever but not start so I assumed the battery was fine. Started checking everything over and finally decided to charge the battery. Put it on the charger for maybe 30 minutes and the quad started right up just fine. It's a fine line between enough charge and not enough.

Let us know if the battery was the issue.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Just checking for an update!

I replaced my battery yesterday, my starter now turns over, and starts the engine like it was nothin'!

I'm hoping yours was just as easy!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car