lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
zooom
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Steering wheel puller?

I have an '08 DS on which I would like to shorten the steering column to allow for some more "room" behind the wheel. After removing the steering wheel locknut I found what looks like a splined shaft similar to Detroit iron cars. On these one uses a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel & the base of the steering wheel is normally drilled/tapped for bolt threads to be used when the puller device is in place....

On the golf cart there are no such drilled/tapped holes in the steering wheel base. Does this kind of assembly require a "specialized,i.e.>$$$" puller tool, or do you just drill & tap holes in the plastic steering wheel base?

Would appreciate any forum input on this. Thanx in advance.....
zooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steering wheel puller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooom View Post
I have an '08 DS on which I would like to shorten the steering column to allow for some more "room" behind the wheel. After removing the steering wheel locknut I found what looks like a splined shaft similar to Detroit iron cars. On these one uses a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel & the base of the steering wheel is normally drilled/tapped for bolt threads to be used when the puller device is in place....

On the golf cart there are no such drilled/tapped holes in the steering wheel base. Does this kind of assembly require a "specialized,i.e.>$$$" puller tool, or do you just drill & tap holes in the plastic steering wheel base?

Would appreciate any forum input on this. Thanx in advance.....

I just pulled mine off last week. Soak it in PB Blaster then hit the backside of the wheel with a mallot and it will pop right off.

This thread might interest you.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-...under-way.html
R8cer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

Oh and to BGW!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree... mine was tough to get off but it took a beating with a rubber mallet better than I thought it would. I whaled on it and it finally budged
mndanielsncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
R8cer Ex
Yes dear

E-Z-GO

Yeah, the secret is to have somebody pulling while someone else beats it off. Umm....wait.....never mind
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

pull the retaing nut off, and brace you feet on the cowl, so it uses your legs to push up on the bottom of the steering wheel . at the same time use a brass punch and a hammer to whack on the column. wait put your nt back on so its flush with the top of the column and give it a whack or too. this will protect your threads and if the wheel come flying off it wont wack you either!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

I made a puller, very simple, no need for a buddy.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

Do not completely remove the nut holding the steering wheel on. Loosen it, but leave a couple of threads holding it in place. When these wheels come loose, they do it all of a sudden, and when you least expect it. There are posts here of broken noses, etc. I couldn't find my post where I send my wife flying across the garage, but bad things do happen.

If you can find or make a puller, that's one thing, but if you are going to beat it with a hammer, watch out!
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car