lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Switch Wiring

I have a set of aftermarket headlights that came with a basic, ugly on/off switch that I didn't like so I ordered a new toggle switch with an LED on it. I am worried that the LED will slowly drain my battery since I don't drive my cart daily, so I'm wondering how I would wire the switch through the ignition, so the LED was only on when the ignition is on. Can someone assist with how this would be done?

My headlights have 2 wires, green and red - green is jumped across 2 terminals (ground and 12V) on the new switch (new has 3 prongs, old had 2) and the red is fed to the "constant" terminal. As of now, the LED is on unless the headlights are switched on. I want the LED to work as it does now but only when the ignition is switched to on.
mndanielsncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Switch Wiring

In thinking this through more, I am guessing that i just need to run one of the wires to the ignition then to the switch, but I'm not sure which wire goes to the ignition and where on the ignition I run it to.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You may want to add a relay controlled by the ignition switch and a separate supply to lights thus avoiding any over load.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
You may want to add a relay controlled by the ignition switch and a separate supply to lights thus avoiding any over load.
I'm OK with the switch running straight off of the battery, I was just worried the LED on the switch would slowly drain the battery so I was thinking I could run the LED wire to the ignition so it was only illuminated when the key was "on". Is that possible? If so, where would I wire it on the ignition?

The switch looks like this
Amazon.com: SPST Automotive Round Rocker Switch with Blue LED 12 V: Electronics Amazon.com: SPST Automotive Round Rocker Switch with Blue LED 12 V: Electronics
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

U need a tester to see which one is hot all the time n which one comes hot when u switch it on... Then just hook it on the one that's not hot all the time.
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car