lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
nick0
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 Club car DS Fe350 Max 12mph

Would like some advise on speeding up 1996 club car Have tried bigger tires, adjusting the governor, took governor off completely (the T) raised rpms to about 3000 and nothing higher that 12mph got 12.5 going with the wind 11 going into wind. I am clocking speed with GPS. I have read and read and read. I wasnt ble to remove the screw in the top of the ( T) on the governor I loosened the bolt on the side and slid it off. I dont know if not being able to remove the screw is part of my problem or not.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
nick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 Club car DS Fe350 Max 12mph

[QUOTE=nick0;913557]Would like some advise on speeding up 1996 club car Have tried bigger tires, adjusting the governor, took governor off completely (the T) raised rpms to about 3000 and nothing higher that 12mph got 12.5 going with the wind 11 going into wind. I am clocking speed with GPS. I have read and read and read. I wasnt ble to remove the screw in the top of the ( T) on the governor I loosened the bolt on the side and slid it off. I dont know if not being able to remove the screw is part of my problem or not.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks[/QUOTE3
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

3000 RPM is factory specs so in short, you have done nothing to get your cart down the road faster than stock. There are lots of threads here that will give you the advice you need. Having said that however; Zip tie the governor springs and yank off the RPM limiter wire. Go as fast as you like but the cart is now unlimited and down to your own discretion.
If you blow the motor it's down to you.
Simple eh ?

Chris.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
nick0
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply in my post I said I adjusted the governor. I have read the posts and I am saying I have tried all except putting high speed gear kit in drive axle. I am in no means trying to blow motor just would like to speed cart up a little to 15-18 mph.
Things I have done

Zip tied governor T towards rear of cart no results
Zip tied governor T towards front of cart no results
removed governor T completely off drive axle no results
Removed limiter wire from grnd did all steps above with no results
Bought and installed 22x12x10 tires with no reasonable results
Joined site cause Im interested in learning I know my cart is stock except for the motor this cart came with the 290 motor. I would appreciate any valuable information to help me speed up my 1996 club car ds with a 350 motor. I have tried all of what is listed above maybe I missed a step or didnt do something in conjunction with a step any (valuable) info is appreciated
thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Hey Chris! welcome back! (just behave yourself! )

Nick,
What you may want to do is readjust your governor arm back to manufactures specs...
Here's how you do it: (click pics)

Govadj.jpg

When we talk about zip tying the governor, we're talking about the spring at the governor arm!

Something like this:

Throttle at rest:

Govenor Zip-Tie 001.jpg

Wide open throttle:

Govenor Zip-Tie 003.jpg

You can adjust the zip ties so you get a little more rpm's, and not over rev the engine!
over tighten them and.... BOOM!

BGW disclaimer here....

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Hey Chris! welcome back! (just behave yourself! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

Nick,
What you may want to do is readjust your governor arm back to manufactures specs...
Here's how you do it: (click pics)

Attachment 88968

When we talk about zip tying the governor, we're talking about the spring at the governor arm!

Something like this:

Throttle at rest:

Attachment 88966

Wide open throttle:

Attachment 88967

You can adjust the zip ties so you get a little more rpm's, and not over rev the engine!
over tighten them and.... BOOM!

BGW disclaimer here....

Cheers mate
Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
nick0
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response i'll give it a shot
Thanks again
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
nick0
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the great advise guys, I tried to do all but with no success. So I broke down and took it to a golf cart mechanic he said that is all I am going to get is 12 mph thats it. When I got the cart it was missing a lot of original parts and what it did have wasn't put on correctly. I was trying to put most of the original pieces on that were needed but didnt know about the gov. rod and spring. So I can rev it til the limiter kicks in with no results I tried messing with the gov. arm on trans axle with no results nothing seems to help. Now it has been confirmed by mechanic. He said I can put bigger tires and another clutch on it that might help but there very expensive so I don't know what to do. Stuck for now I guess. Unless someone knows for sure hes wrong.
Thanks again
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0 View Post
Thanks for all the great advise guys, I tried to do all but with no success. So I broke down and took it to a golf cart mechanic he said that is all I am going to get is 12 mph thats it. When I got the cart it was missing a lot of original parts and what it did have wasn't put on correctly. I was trying to put most of the original pieces on that were needed but didnt know about the gov. rod and spring. So I can rev it til the limiter kicks in with no results I tried messing with the gov. arm on trans axle with no results nothing seems to help. Now it has been confirmed by mechanic. He said I can put bigger tires and another clutch on it that might help but there very expensive so I don't know what to do. Stuck for now I guess. Unless someone knows for sure hes wrong.
Thanks again
He's wrong Nicko unless we are missing something here. My cart will pull 25mph + on standard diameter tires. My motor has been balanced but this is still only in short bursts to avoid internal damage. Now with regard to your cart; You have eliminated both the limiter and axle governor I assume ?

Chris.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
nick0
Not Yet Wild

Chris,
Yes I have eliminated the axle governor and the limiter. I have now re installed the limiter for the moment. Before I had a tac installed but it has stopped working since my coil stopped I installed a new coil going to get a new tac but until then I will leave limiter in place. I have tried everything posted here with no results. someone posted for me to set gov arm back to factory spec and start over I tried but its hard to do without gov. rod now the gov shaft is not moving back and forth like it was before when I accelerate and decelerate now it just stays in one spot. I dont know why the gov shaft is not moving but cart still moves so I guess nothing is wrong. The flat head screw on top of the gov shaft is froze or something I couldnt get it off or even to turn at all. I have done what everyone is saying its not hard to do I am very mechanically inclined I dont know if something was done to the cart before I got it or what I dont want to mess anything up on it. I see all of these other peoples posts how it worked for them I dont get it why its not working for me unless there leaving something out of their instructions but I doubt it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car