lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #11
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Re: Best Way To Apply Seafoam Spray??

So I received the spray in the mail now I wanna test it out on the cart.....but first I have another question about backfiring.

Every time I get up to speed and let off the gas, whether it be to come to a stop sign or coast for a second while yielding....the minute I go to accelerate it backfires....sometimes small pop sometimes a big bang.

Any how-to pictures or videos on what this might be or how to correct this? An easy/simple fix or adjustment?

I wanted to figure this out prior to trying the SeaFoam on the carb/butterfly.

Any help please:-)
Thanks!
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When you come completely off the gas pedal you are killing the spark to the plug but if the spark dies before the carb is completely closed a small amount of air fuel mix will get into the exhaust. This unburnt fuel will then ignite when you next hit the gas pedal and hence the backfire. You need to make sure the carb is completely closed at a point just before the black box micro kills the spark. It's a little tricky to explain in the printed world but it's basically a matter of adjusting the throttle cable into the black box so that the spark is still present when the carb is completely closed off.
Hope that helps.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
frankthetank
Gone Wild

So if I am following you correctly.....

The throttle cable running in to/towards the black box would need LESS tension on it?? Just adjust the nuts on the throttle cable at the black box??

Thank you...I really appreciate the help....I really wish they offered a shop class at my school when I was growin up:-)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
rib33024

Your in shop class now
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #15
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Your in shop class now

lol. Yes Frank, in essence you are correct. Make the adjustments in small increments and never forget where you started from. COUNT the turns on the adjuster as you go so you can return to your current position and situation if all else fails. As a younger and wilder person I pulled the following stunt in a tunnel under a railway back home in England which had a pedestrian walkway. I would turn off the ignition key and floor the gas with the car in gear. Then I would turn the ignition back on and the return of the spark would make a spectacular backfire which was greatly magnified in the tunnel. If timed correctly this would cause all manner of people to drop their shopping bags and dive for cover. Cans of peas, bags of potatoes and packages of sausages all over the place. It seemed hilarious back then but a little sad these days now that I'm able to imagine those old ladies with scabbed knees, heart failure and her husbands dinner rolling down the road. But I digress somewhat. The same basic principle applies just as well to your cart as it did back then when I first discovered the principles of juvenile backfire hooliganism in a Vauxhall Astra.

Chris.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
frankthetank
Gone Wild

I will try and make the adjustment....and I do feel the same way when this happens near lil old ladies and kids and dogs etc. I always try to ease the gas if I am around these people some times it helps but there is definite backfire.

I have never really tried it in maintenance mode though. I will see if it backfires then so I don't have to drive it down the street after every adjustment.

I'll let ya know how it goes:-) Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
frankthetank
Gone Wild

just so I don't mess things up....the carb throat is right where the boot (rubber tube clamps to the carb that's coming right from the air filter?

just remove this put spray starw in and replace rubber boot and spray away??
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I doubt you'll be able to use that method Frank since the "straw" will get kinked.
You can try as I suggested in an earlier post to just hold the rpm's at a fast idle and squirt directly into the carb throat or another way is to pierce the intake hose close to the carb with an awl or similar and then push the straw in through the hole and squirt away. The rubber should spring back into place and seal back up but a dab of silicone will guarantee no air will get pulled in.

Chris.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Well I was able to slip the straw in and replace the boot over it with no problem it seemed to work pretty well. ALOT of black smoke then some significant white smoke.

I took it for a run....couldn't really notice anything but it still helps to clean it I am sure.

I also adjusted the throttle cable and I thought it was working because there weren't any backfires UNTIL I turned around to head back home. I will have to try and adjust it some more.

Any pictures available to show me what I am looking at to see "if the carburetor is closed completely"???

I have no clue what I am looking for when adjusting the throttle cable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car