lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default 92 DS Questions

Hi guys, this my first post in the Gasser section since I'm a sparky guy, but my buddy just bought a 92 gas DS and I'm helping him a little with it. Please take it easy on me, as I'm sure my questions are pretty basic, I'm just a newbie to gassers.

The cart has a 6" Jakes spindle lift, 12" wheels with Sahara Classic tires, a rear flip flop kit, HD rear springs, an overhead radio console, dash kit, custom steering wheel, headlights, and a horn. Someone upgraded to a 2000.5 and up style top and supports, and it has a newer front and rear body as they are not fiberglass, they are Armor flex, with the rear body having an access panel and full bagwell liner. Its a nice cart that runs really well once it gets warm after about 60-90 seconds of running. Its especially nice since motor and clutches appear to all be stock, which means nobody has tried to hot rod it too badly. (That paired with the fact it belonged to an old man)

My few questions:

1)What motor did these carts have in 92?
2)Does anyone have a cross reference number for the oil filters on these to something like maybe a Wix filter?
3)What is the crankcase capacity for engine oil?
4)Top speed is fine, it just takes a little bit to get there. I've read that sending the driven clutch to CPP for the spring upgrade and machining is a good investment. Would it help the time to top speed be shorter?

The plug and the 2 fuel filters plus the air filter look good, but it needs an oil change. Any info on this cart's engine and capacities would be really appreciated!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 92 DS Questions

1) FE290 9.5 hp
2) NAPA 4639, STP & Super Tech 4967 and... (Stickies ~ Bi-yearly maintenance)
3) 38 oz. with filter change (do not overfill!)
4) Drive clutch (front), better top end ~ Driven clutch (rear), better low end torque.

I installed a timing advance key to get from slow to fast... faster, but the install of the key isn't for the novice!

Hope this helps!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Thanks!

I never even thought to check the stickies... duh!

Thinking pretty seriously abut going the driven clutch spring route, I'm no newbie with motors, but I'll leave the tmimg advance keys to the pros. I've got one question left: Will installing the spring for better low end affect the top end speed in any way other than helping it not lug so hard getting there? I really don't want to sacrifice top end to gain low end.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm gonna let someone else answer that question!
But, from what I've read... yes, the spring will help, but, (I think) it may take away from the top end a little!

There may be a problem though... the actual removal of a 92 driven clutch might be a bit difficult!
I've read more threads on where the driven clutch had to be destroyed just to get it off of the shaft!

Just a "heads up"!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Thanks for the heads up, the more I've read about taking it off the more I've found out it's probably more of a pain than its worth! It's mostly used on flat ground, kind of a rarity here in WV , so unless my buddy starts taking it places where it's a little more hilly I'm gonna advise him to leave it alone. Acceleration is slower than a stock gasser, but actually not all that much.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Being that the engine is 21 years old, your buddy may pretty much have to live with it the way it is!

Here's a cheap tip though...
It may be a possibility that the engine (head, piston & valves) may be a bit carboned up,
Get a can of "Seafoam" engine treatment, remove the spark plug, pour in about an ounce of it in the plug hole,

Reinstall the plug without connecting the plug wire, and crank it over for a minute or so...
let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes to allow it to soak into the carbon deposits.

Connect the plug wire to the plug, and start and run the engine at part throttle. (in maintenance mode)
It'll smoke profusely for the first couple minutes of it running,
but, it'll clean out some of the carbon deposits that may be robbing the engine of a horsepower or 2!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Lockman, thanks for all the great info! Maintenance mode?? Please explain, remember I'm used to voltage and circuits, not gas an oil lol.

Also, anyone out there know how much top end is sacrificed by milling and putting the new spring in the driven clutch?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Putting the cart in maintenance mode allows you to run the motor in neutral while you're working on it. All you have to do is grab the little yellow cam on the back of the shifter and rotate it 180 degrees.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Putting the cart in maintenance mode allows you to run the motor in neutral while you're working on it. All you have to do is grab the little yellow cam on the back of the shifter and rotate it 180 degrees.

Thank you! I'd have never figured that one out, I was thinking there was a switch or something hidden somewhere I didn't know about.

I've read your driven clutch nightmare thread, how did the milling and spring affect your cart? Top end still the same or did it lose a little bit of top end?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I didn't really notice much difference at all except on steep hills. Before the clutch work I couldn't climb some of them, now with the clutch work I have yet to find a hill I can't climb. So I'm happy with the results. My top end didn't seem like it was affected negatively at all.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car