lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
tomcm
Not Yet Wild

Default Mystery steel plate between airbox and carb

I have just purchased a petrol powered EZGO workhorse. It was advertised as having been sitting for quite a while but was fine before that. I changed the fuel, cleaned the carb and when I took the airpipe off the carb I noticed a plate which seemed to be blocking the inlet. Once I removed this and reassembled the buggy started straight away!?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Once I got it going I went for a quick spin. Seemed a bit smokey on startup. Went about 300m then did a sharp U turn, engine lost power and soo much whitey coloured smoke coming out of the exhaust! Slowly drove the few hundred metres home with lots of smoke coming out... any ideas??

thanks!

Tom
UK
tomcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
tomcm
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Mystery steel plate between airbox and carb

Pics attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180405_191139.jpg (214.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180405_204353.jpg (228.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
tomcm
Not Yet Wild

The oil light is on by the way, but the level looks fine..
Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think the plate you're referring to is called an "anti backfire plate" (not 100 % sure),the oil light is actually an oil pressure indicator and when it's on or lit up it indicates very low or no oil pressure,if everything is operating as it should the oil light should go off pretty much immediately upon starting the engine.

Also welcome to BGW!!
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
tomcm
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply BIGMULE!

I have changed the oil and the light has gone off. The oild looked horrendous!! like it had never been changed!

no idea about the plate its very odd but it's running well without it on! need to find a lift kit in the UK now which is proving hard and import is a bit pricey!
Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

The two bolts/studs that held the plate in position have extended heads with extra thread above them. you had the plate under the heads when they should have been on top of the heads and held on with two 10mm nuts to create the air gap required to run the engine.

As to the smoke, this could be several things. Most likely the air filter could be blocked up and the engine is trying to draw air up through the pcv valve which will also draw oil and create the smoke you saw. Hopefully now you have it running, just a quick check will tell you if you need a new air filter. Where in the UK are you? PM me if you wish, as i may be able to help with a lift kit as i used to make my own depending on what type you are looking for. If a simple 4 inch lift is sufficient you can do it yourself.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
tomcm
Not Yet Wild

Hi colin,

thanks very much for the great help.. will have a look tonight and get back to you!

Tom
Old 04-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If you havent done it yet, adjust your valves as well. Sounds like you may have gotten a ride with some deferred maintenance.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #9
tomcm
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntClutch View Post
If you havent done it yet, adjust your valves as well. Sounds like you may have gotten a ride with some deferred maintenance.
Yes I should, think I saw a YouTube tutorial on this, thanks for the tip burnt clutch.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO