lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
tarpon_bro
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement battery advice

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time reader here. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I think I may have left my radio on recently to my gas ezgo which caused it to drain the battery. I checked the voltage of my 12v battery and it reads 8.4 volts. Now it’s not turning over, although I’ve notice the belt slowly move when I hit the gas. Thinking it just doesn’t have enough juice to start.

Dumb question, but 8.4 volts on a 12v battery is obv not enough to crank the motor, correct?

Last question: what would you guys recommend for a replacement? I do play the radio a lot when not running, so maybe a 12v rechargeable marine battery or even car battery? Hard to justify spending a lot on one, but I’m open to ideas. Current battery is a NAPA 8142 12 volt.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Last edited by tarpon_bro; 06-07-2018 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Typo
tarpon_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Replacement battery advice

I doubt the 8.4 volts would be enough to turn over your engine. I kind of doubt you destroyed your current battery you probably just discharged it. If you don't already have one I would get a battery charger designed for car batteries (12 volts) and let that sit on it overnight. You can get one at any auto parts store or wally world or wherever or try to pick one up used somewhere its not a bad thing to have around anyway. If your current battery does not come back after some time on the charger I would just replace with a car battery around the same size as what is in there now or larger if you think it would fit.
redm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
tarpon_bro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm18 View Post
I doubt the 8.4 volts would be enough to turn over your engine. I kind of doubt you destroyed your current battery you probably just discharged it. If you don't already have one I would get a battery charger designed for car batteries (12 volts) and let that sit on it overnight. You can get one at any auto parts store or wally world or wherever or try to pick one up used somewhere its not a bad thing to have around anyway. If your current battery does not come back after some time on the charger I would just replace with a car battery around the same size as what is in there now or larger if you think it would fit.
Thank you for the info.

Forgot to mention I do have a Schumacher trickle charger that I left on overnight, however it still reads 8.4 volts and will not turn over. Not sure how old battery it is and I’m hoping it’s just a battery issue and nothing else. The 8.4 volts reading gives me hope on that front.

Good idea on car battery. Any idea of what I can expect to spend or if I should but from Walmart/Advanced auto parts? Will try to buy biggest possible that will fit for sure
Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
redm18
Not Yet Wild

I'm not sure how fast a trickle charger is going to actually charge I think that they typically put out around 1 amp where a regular charger is going to put out more like 5 to 50 amps. I think with a regular charger your going to want it on at least 6 hours so your trickle charger may need more like 24. You could also try jumping it your battery with a car or even just pull the battery our of your car and throw it in the cart to make sure the battery is the problem. What year is your cart? I have an 87 and I think I put a group size 26 in it which I think is correct however I could have and maybe should have shoehorned a group size 27 in. I would be guess depending on where you are $50 to $100 will get you out the door.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
tarpon_bro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I'm not sure how fast a trickle charger is going to actually charge I think that they typically put out around 1 amp where a regular charger is going to put out more like 5 to 50 amps. I think with a regular charger your going to want it on at least 6 hours so your trickle charger may need more like 24. You could also try jumping it your battery with a car or even just pull the battery our of your car and throw it in the cart to make sure the battery is the problem. What year is your cart? I have an 87 and I think I put a group size 26 in it which I think is correct however I could have and maybe should have shoehorned a group size 27 in. I would be guess depending on where you are $50 to $100 will get you out the door.
Thanks Red.

I always thought a trickle charger was best for small vehicle batteries like lawnmowers and golf carts. Maybe I’ll pick up a 12 volt battery charger and see before I buy a new battery. Is that what you recommend? Yes it’s a group 26 battery

I haven’t run it in a couple weeks which means it hasn’t been charged during that time (until a couple nights ago on the trickle). Maybe like you said it’s discharged and needs a 12 v charger. Are those 12v chargers around $30 or so?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
redm18
Not Yet Wild

I think they probably start around there. Your trickle charger should be able to get the job done though just might take longer more amps = faster charging (but more heat) typically the point of a trickle charger is for a piece of equipment that you don't use all of time is the charger just keeps up with natural discharge without hurting the battery.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
tarpon_bro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I think they probably start around there. Your trickle charger should be able to get the job done though just might take longer more amps = faster charging (but more heat) typically the point of a trickle charger is for a piece of equipment that you don't use all of time is the charger just keeps up with natural discharge without hurting the battery.
Ok yea I’m thinkikg i have a dead battery. It looks pretty old too. No date on it. I used the trickle charger for 12 hours and it’s showig “green” which means fully charged as it can go and only 8.4 volts. Hoping it’s that simple anyways...Wally World here I come!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
mlj427
Gone Wild

Most newer battery chargers won’t turn on if the battery is too low. Try taking the battery to autozone or advance auto they usually will check it out and may try to charge it for you. When you get it running again since you use the radio a lot use your trickle charger once a week or so.
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO